Medical school is a long-term commitment that requires additional schooling, resources, and time. While a number of students are interested in making their mark on the medical field, not all students have the financial resources or time available to enter medical school. Furthermore, high competition can make it difficult for some students to enter these schools.
While medical school is a highly respectable option for professionals to pursue, some students choose programs in lieu that will lead to equally gratifying careers in the medical sector. While it is not often advertised, med school is not a requirement to enter a number of careers in the field.
We’re aware that many students are looking for help to determine what is the right career path for them, based on their interests and qualifications. Several of these students want to know, specifically, about medical careers that are in demand, hoping to gain information about how to attain positions in these industries.
Florida National University (FNU) is dedicated to providing in-depth programs designed to prepare students for medical careers in a number of given industries. The following are medical programs that students can dive into without worrying about med school in the future:
One of the most popular paths to take in the medical field, nursing is an excellent way to learn to treat and care for patients of all ages and backgrounds. When it comes to pursuing a career in nursing, FNU students have a couple of options from which to choose:
- Bachelor’s: The purpose of this program is to prepare the students to become professional nurses whom able to function in a variety of roles. The students will be prepared in the areas of health assessment, nursing theories and concepts, research, leadership, informatics and health promotion across various healthcare settings. The graduates will acquire the necessary knowledge and skills to safely practice patient care and pass the NCLEX exam.
- Associate’s: The purpose of the Associate of Science Nursing Program is to prepare the graduates to become licensed registered nurses. The students will be able to obtain an entry-level nursing position and be qualified to provide direct care to individuals and families in a variety of care settings. The graduates will acquire the necessary knowledge and skills to safely practice patient care and successfully pass the licensing board.
- Physical Therapy Assistant (PTA)
The PTA associate of science program provides the students with the knowledge and skills necessary to perform as a competent, safe, and ethical PTA. The students will learn and apply techniques that will improve mobility, relieve pain, and prevent or limit permanent physical disabilities to patients in clinical settings.
Graduates from this program will be eligible to take their national licensure exam. Passing that exam deems graduates suitable for careers in the field. This is a direct way for students to enter the medical field quickly, as the associate’s program is designed to last approximately two years.
- Dental Care
FNU delivers multiple options that fully prepare students to excel in the dental field. FNU students have a large collection of options from which to choose:
- Dental Lab Technology: This program offers technical training and theory in the areas of Full and Partial Dentures and Crown & Bridge and Porcelain. The Dental Technologist is a highly skilled craftsman who designs and constructs the attachments and replacements for natural teeth.
- Dental Technician: Upon receiving his/her instructions from the dentist, the Dental Technician with skilled hands, carefully fashions plastic and metal into a precise product. This program offers technical training and theory in the areas of Full and Partial Dentures and Crown & Bridge and Porcelain.
- Dental Technician Full and Partial Dentures: This program offers technical training and theory in the areas of Full and Partial Dentures.
- Dental Technician Crown and Bridge and Porcelain: This program offers technical training and theory in the areas of Crown and Bridge, and Porcelain.
- Dental Assistant Certificate: The purpose of this program is to prepare students for entry-level employment as dental assistants and dental auxiliaries. Graduates of this program may apply to take the Certified Dental Assistant Examination given by the Dental Assisting National Board. Graduates are eligible for employment as dental assistants with expanded functions and radiography skills.
- Radiologic Technology
The program prepares the student, upon successful completion of the Certifying Examination, for a position as a member of a health care team in a hospital, clinic or physician’s office. The degree can also be used in industry; in the manufacture and supply of medical equipment or management. This program is designed to prepare the student for the National Certifying Examination by the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists, as well as for the State of Florida Dept. of Health and Rehabilitative Service General License Examination.
- Diagnostic Medical Sonography
This program is designed to prepare the student for performing ultrasound procedures. The student will be trained to develop his (her) skills on the knowledge of interpretation of sonographic images. The student will be able to conduct ultrasound procedures in abdomen, pelvis and small parts. Training will cover organs of abdomen and pelvis, and obstetrical and fetal evaluations. The program prepares the students to pass the national certification exam.
- Respiratory Therapy
The purpose of this program is to enhance the education of RRT graduates with a current NBRC credential to provide them with professional growth and skills in areas of management, cultural diversity, and supervisory skills across various healthcare settings.
- Medical Assistant
The purpose of this program is to prepare the student as a multi-skilled medical assistant. This is done through the acquisition of the knowledge and skills that are necessary to work in clinical and administrative settings at hospitals, clinics, medical Labs, diagnostic centers, and doctor’s offices. In addition, the program offers options for entry-level positions such as front office procedures, back office procedures, and back office procedures.
Are You Still Considering Med School?
Students who are still wishing to go to medical school should consider FNU’s Natural Sciences bachelor’s degree program. This program offers the students an opportunity to tailor their education to their specific career goals within the field of science. It provides a basic background in biology and chemistry useful for students considering Pre-Medicine, Pre-Pharmacy or Pre-Dentistry.
FNU: Preparing Students to Succeed in All Fields
Whether or not this career path is of interest to you, FNU likely has a program to meet your personal and professional requirements. If you’re ready to get started apply today!