When it comes to education, there are a handful of professions that almost guarantee success in its field. Doctor, lawyer, accounting and finance often rise to the top. Usually computer technology follows close behind. The challenge with the computer technology profession is that it is a fairly large and versatile field.
When choosing to enter the computer technology industry, it is best to have a detailed idea of exactly what one wants to do. It is easy to lose focus as each profession within its sector is related to one another. The upside to this may be that you can provide a diverse resume, possibly making it more attractive to employers. The downside is that with the economy providing a generous number of unemployed job seekers, employers have become particularly selective in what they are looking for in an applicant.
So in order to zero in on what one may want to do after obtaining a Computer Information Technology Degree and appeal to potentials employers, it’s important to go back to the basics.
What exactly is Computer Information Technology?
The answer is very simple. It is the study of information technology. Two words, yet it entails so much! Our world depends on information technology. It’s all about computer networks, systems, and computer software programs that will store, send, and receive information. This applies to businesses and operations big and small.
The need is wide, ranging from government administrations to a one-man, or woman entrepreneur. In fact, doctors, lawyers, accounting and finance professions need computer information technology in order for their own business to operate efficiently!
The Demand for IT Professionals
Technology is an ever-evolving field. Someone somewhere is always coming out with the next ‘big thing’ and it usually involves technology. Unfortunately, these new inventions usually mean new problems. Things break and malfunction. That is just the way it is. Computers are man-made and man is subject to err, therefore so will its creation, but fear not! This is where another chain of professions, the problem-solvers comes in to save the day.
Somehow, somewhere a genius will figure out a way to make the prior invention more user-friendly. Extensive testing is done, the test becomes a final product, and it is then implemented into the public sector. More problems occur and the process must start all over again.
In the field of technology, problems don’t end, but they can be solved.
It is less likely that someone might argue that doctors aren’t needed. In today’s world of state-of-the-art medical facilities, smartphones, Skyping, smart watches, and tiny MP3 players, the discussion of whether or not technology is needed is hardly even a debate anymore.
Jobs That Require a Degree in Computer Information Technology
Unless one is a gifted genius, it is imperative that one acquires a degree in Computer Information Technology. Employers these days will not take a second look at an applicant if they don’t have this. Here is a list of professions that may require a degree in Computer Information Technology:
- IT Consultant – Depending on the company, this job sometimes operates as a front-line position helping customers trouble-shoot user-friendly applications and assisting with setting up the technical aspect of conferences. Yet, the main duties of the IT Consultant is writing code, analyzing complex data structures to determine if there are any security threats, and streamlining it to ensure that their business system is glitch-free.
- Web Developer – Web Developers are responsible for designing the look of a website. This is done by coding with HTML, Java, and Cascading Style Sheets (CSS). Some of the details incurred in such a career require the positioning and styling of the overall colors, font color and size that make up the website. Additionally, the links within every page must work, as most websites today are active in eCommerce.
- Mobile Application Developer – This was the next ‘big thing’ after the shine of the Web Developer. When the smartphone entered the market, consumers quickly took to the idea that they could access the Internet through their mobile phone. The problem here was that the smartphone screen wasn’t big enough to fit the dimensions of a standard website designed for a PC. So here again, another profession within the IT field had to be created. Thus, the Mobile Application Developer was created.
- Cloud Architect – There once was a time when Mobile Application Developers were the ‘big thing’. In theory, they still are, but as aforementioned, a genius has developed a way for everyone to store an extravagant amount of data. The problem with this invention is that someone must manage all of this data. Who has time for that? Hence the need for the Cloud Architect. Unlike the dated disc and USB drive, the Cloud is something that cannot be seen. Businesses are essentially storing sensitive information into cyberspace. Nonetheless, the files within this ‘limitless’ database need to be maintained or remain forever lost in space.
- Software Engineer – Computer Programmer – This profession calls for extreme
creativity as in most cases, the engineer and programmer are creating something out of nothing! Programmers and engineers are able to craft a computer application based on the wants and needs of a client. This comes in especially handy when businesses are looking for a particular software application to make their business more efficient, yet it simply does not exist. Computer programmers and engineers are the people to make that happen.
It is important to note that most of these professions may require a bachelor’s degree.
FNU’s Computer Information Technology Degree Program
Our Associate’s Degree in Computer Information Technology equips students with a basic foundation of technical training in the most demanding software applications used in today’s business. We are an accredited institution that can transfer most of your credits toward furthering your education in the IT sector. Get started toward earning a degree in one of the most lucrative fields in the industry. Start your enrollment process at FNU now.