• How You Can Make a Positive Difference on World Refugee Day

Many people may not even be aware that World Refugee Day exists, much less understand what it means and how it came to be. On December 4, 2000, the United Nations (UN) General Assembly report embraced the resolution 55/76 that highlighted the importance of caring and aiding refugees. It declared that June 20 would be…

• GRAND OPENING: FNU‬ COMPUTER LAB AT GOODLET PARK

JOIN US THIS WEDNESDAY 6/15 FOR THE GRAND OPENING OF THE‎ FNU‬ COMPUTER LAB AT GOODLET PARK

• What Memorial Day Means to FNU

Sadly, Memorial Day might be looked at as just another holiday and a day off from work or school, for some people, but it’s so much more than that. Memorial Day is a federal holiday that honors all of the soldiers who fought and died while serving in the armed forces. Originally it was recognized…

• What Martin Luther King Jr. Accomplished for Minorities

According to CBS News, 44% of the United States (US) population is part of the minority race. They further reported their findings referencing the US Census Report that 50% of Americans under the age of five are minorities. Ten years ago, that wasn’t the case. Then, only 33% represented the minority race. Historically speaking, non-minorities…

• 7 Ways the College Landscape Is Changing in South Florida and Beyond

It’s not a secret that education is different today than it was 50—or even five—years ago. That is because it is constantly evolving along with the demand for an improved learning experience. As technology continues to progress at an alarming rate, the education field has no choice but to keep up! In doing so, education,…

• FNU’s PTA Program Faculty Conducts Ergonomics Workshop for Respiratory Therapy Students

On Tuesday, August 4, 2015, the Physical Therapist Assistant program faculty from Florida National University (FNU) held a Body Mechanics and Ergonomics workshop for FNU’s Respiratory Therapy (RT) students. The workshop was conducted by Dr. Kelly Krenkel, PTA Program Director and her staff. RT students who attended the workshop were instructed on how to…

• Volunteering: The Best Alternative to Summer Internships

While students, professionals and universities understand the value of an educational internship, it is not always a feasible option for students. Often, time constraints and the competitive nature of summer internships can make attaining one a difficult feat. The best alternative to a summer internship is to become a volunteer. Why Volunteer? Although volunteering does…

• 21st Century Community Learning Center 101

At Florida National University (FNU), our goal as educators is to support all students academically and socially as well as to ensure that their academic goals are met. To that end, we have instituted numerous projects and programs to reach out to the community. As indicated by our mission statement, “The purpose of Florida National…

• Social Media Primer for the Chronically Unhip

Let’s face it; there are two types of people in this world. Those who get social media, and those who don’t. There are many who will argue that this division is generational. I disagree. I turned 40 this year, and by traditional standards I fall outside the “digital millennial” generation. According to conventional wisdom (as…

• Helping for the Holidays

I call my close friends “my adoptive family.” My blood relatives all live out of state, so the only family I have here in Miami is the family I make for myself. Creating an adoptive family isn’t easy. You have to select just the right individuals. These people both nurture and support you and challenge…