Not all students have the ability or desire to pursue a full-time education with the intention of attaining an associate’s, bachelors, or master’s degree. What options do these students have? For individuals who already have a career path in mind, a certificate can offer a fast track for pursuing a career.
There are many reasons why students across the country are taking this path as opposed to the traditional associate’s or bachelor’s program educational paths. We know that many students want to know why getting a certificate is a great track toward a career. Florida National University (FNU) details the benefits of pursuing a certificate.
Why Choose a Certificate?
Opting to pursue a certificate is a positive option for many students as it offers a faster track for moving toward a career. Students enrolled in FNU’s certificate programs receive hands-on training and/or education from an accredited university with experienced professors. The professors from FNU are highly qualified, and most are currently active in their respective fields.
Students who opt for a certificate are planning for their future and taking steps to proactively secure a positive direction. Truthfully, individuals often enter universities without direction, and it may take one or two years for these students to claim a major and/or minor of study. Contrarily, those who begin their studies in a certification program have already made a decision with their future in mind. Certificate programs prepare students for the job they hope to experience in their field of interest without spending time on other subjects or classes that are not crucial for their particular career path.
Who Should Choose a Certificate Program?
Many individuals would benefit from choosing a certificate program. These programs have various uses and benefits, thus opting for this path will depend on an individual’s circumstances. However, there are specific individuals who would benefit:
For example, the aforementioned individual who already has a plan and is simply looking to fulfill his/her goals toward gaining a career is a great candidate to achieve a certificate. Also, current professionals who are looking to further their knowledge and abilities are prime candidates for this type of study, as several of the programs are designed for skill building. Finally, students who hope to enter the career field quickly and adults with limited flexibility or an abundance of current responsibilities are great candidates for a brief certificate program.
Many of the positions considered by those in our certificate programs are those of which a post-secondary degree is not always required. For example, in order to pursue a career in customer service, a college degree is not necessary—yet, it can be incredibly useful.
Students who take the steps to learn via a university’s educational program display a level of dedication and responsibility needed to help these candidates potentially stand apart from other job applicants.
The student who becomes certified for a specific career can become an indispensable asset to his/her employer. Similarly, this student is able to achieve a level of fulfillment within oneself. He/she will sharpen his/her skills, gather new or updated knowledge about his/her current field, begin his/her education with a lower time commitment than full-time students, and prepare for university-level courses in a new environment or country upon the completion of high school studies or upon immigration to the United States.
How Long Do These Programs Take?
Some certificate programs offered by FNU require as little as 16 credits—or, approximately eight courses. These classes provide the practice, experience, and skills necessary to be successful in a career, which is a better choice than entering a job without any prior experience or education on the subject. In most scenarios, this enables certified candidates a higher chance of acquiring a job while also offering the possibility of a higher salary.
FNU has a number of certificate programs from which to choose, including the following:
- Clinical Echocardiography: This program is designed to prepare the students to produce two-dimensional ultrasonic recordings, Doppler flow analyses of the heart, and related structures using ultrasound equipment for the physician’s use in the study of the heart’s functions and in the diagnosis of heart diseases. This program prepares the students to pass the Registry exam with CCI (Cardiovascular Credentialing International). In order to be eligible to enroll in the Clinical Echocardiography Certificate program, applicants must have completed a program in Diagnostic Medical Sonography.
- Dental Assistant: The purpose of this program is to prepare students for entry-level employment as dental assistants and dental auxiliaries. Graduates of this program may apply to take the Certified Dental Assistant Examination given by the Dental Assisting National Board. Graduates are eligible for employment as dental assistants with expanded functions and radiography skills.
- ESL Basic: This program is designed primarily to help students acquire conversational ability and basic functional skills in English. The program provides training in all four language areas: listening, speaking, reading, and writing.
- ESL Intermediate: This program is designed for students who have achieved basic functional skills in ESL and have language as well as individual goals. The program provides training in the following language areas: listening, speaking, reading and writing
- ESL High Intermediate Level: This program is designed for students who have already acquired an intermediate ESL command. Its purpose is to provide students with opportunities to enlarge their vocabulary and manage more complex grammatical structures, as well as develop strategies for communication useful in more formal linguistic contexts that demand higher and more efficient language management. The program provides training in the four language skills: listening, speaking, reading and writing.
- Patient Care Technician: The purpose of this program is to prepare the student for an entry-level position as a patient care assistant. The program provides competency in the fundamentals of patient care and basic nursing skills, imparting the knowledge and skills required of home health aides, in addition to training in basic EKG and venipuncture. Graduates will be qualified for employment in hospitals, nursing homes, home health agencies, and other health services families.
As one might note, several of these programs enable students to enter the job field shortly after completion of studies, such as the Patient Care Technician certification. Contrarily, some of these programs are designed to allow students to advance in their educational career as they pursue higher-level degrees, including all of the ESL programs.
Students who enroll in a certificate program must understand that this does not lock one into this career for life. Some of these programs can be used as a stepping-stone to pursue higher-level degrees. Pursuing further education after completing a certification program is a realistic possibility that can allow a professional to advance in his/her career.
FNU: Making Education Possible
FNU is dedicated to ensuring that students of all backgrounds and life stages can acquire the education they desire. Are you ready to kick-start your career? Get started today—apply to FNU now!