Hialeah, Fla. – Florida National University Women’s basketball team extended its winning streak to an impressive 5 games with an 67-53 grind out win over Florida College Falcons. The contest was played on Tuesday night (Jan. 14th) at Bucky Dent Gym, Hialeah, Flo. With the win Florida National improves to a 10-10 record while Florida College Falcons falls to 8-9.
INSIDE THE MATCH-UP:
Final Score: Florida National University 67, Florida College 53
Records: Florida National University (10-10), Florida College (8-9)
Location: Bucky Dent Gym, Hialeah, FL.
Florida National University Starters: Adria Stewart, Deandra` Akins, Ashley Williams, Brandilyn Robertson, Breyuna Walker
- FNU shot 42.2% from the field on 19-of-45 shooting overall but was hot from the field in the first half, hitting 52.50%.
- FNU shot 23.1% from downtown on 3-of-13 shooting.
- FNU recorded 73.1 FT% on 19-of-26 shooting overall.
- Dakota Wesleyan University hit 24.3% of its shots from the paint and 6.5% from the long range.
- Applying the pressure on the defensive side, the Conquistadors forced 16 turnovers and recorded 10 steals.
Posted by Florida National University Athletics on Tuesday, January 14, 2020
- Ashley Williams led FNU with 19 points and she also noted 9 rebounds and 2 assists.
- Adria Stewart recorded 11 points, 5 rebounds, 1 assist and 1 steal.
- Brandilyn Robertson led the Conquistadors on the boards with 11 rebounds. She also recorded 9 points and 1 steal.
- Breyuna Walker recorded 5 points, 5 rebounds and 4 assists.
- Deandra` Akins recorded 14 points, 1 rebound, 1 assist and 1 steal.
- Shikinah Williams came off the bench with impressive 9 points, 3 rebounds and 3 steals.
BEYOND THE BOX-SCORE:
- FNU record now is 10-10 this season.
- FNU recorded its fourth home win of the season.
- 6 players saw at least ten minutes of action for the Conquistadors.
- Florida National out-rebounded Florida College 35-31 in the contest.
Florida National University
- Points: Ashley Williams (14)
- Rebounds: Brandilyn Robertson (11)
- Assists: Breyuna Walker (4)
Florida National University women’s basketball team will now face Campbellsville University on Thursday, January 23rd at 6:00 pm. The game will take place at Harrodsburg, KY.
Ruy Castelo Branco – FNU – Sports Information Director
About FNU: Florida National University opened its first class on January 4th, 1988, in the city of Hialeah, Florida, as Florida International Institute under the administration of Dr. José Regueiro, Dr. María C. Regueiro and Mr. Omar Sánchez. FNU Athletic Department has more than 250 student-athletes in 11 different sports. Established in 2013, FNU Athletics is a member of the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) and the United States Collegiate Athletic Association (USCAA).
The mission of the Florida National University Athletic Department is to provide assistance within an athletic structure that promotes the development of a well rounded education through structured sport and competition, to develop life skills of discipline, integrity, leadership, philanthropy and social responsibility, to elevate ethnic and cultural diversity within the athletic programs, to assure equitable opportunity for all staff and student-athletes, and to make the athletic program a durable source of pride for the student population, student-athletes, alumni, university, and community of FNU.