Hialeah Fla. – Florida National University men’s basketball team extended its winning streak to an impressive 8 games with an 84-74 grind out win over Warner University Royals. The contest was played on Wednesday night (Jan. 8th) at Turner Athletic Center, Lake Wales, Fla. With the win Florida National improves to a 17-6 record while Warner University Royals falls to 12-5.
INSIDE THE MATCH-UP:
Final Score: Florida National University 87, Warner University 82
Records: Florida National University (17-6), Warner University (12-5)
Location: Turner Athletic Center, Lake Wales, Fla.
Florida National University Starters: Jeffrey Hernandez , Jose Benitez, Jaquan Robertson, Kenneth Santos, Jordan Cardenas
- FNU shot 59.2% from the field on 45-of-76 shooting overall but was hot from the field in the first half, hitting 65.50%.
- FNU shot 40.7% from downtown on 11-of-27 shooting.
- FNU recorded 60.9 FT% on 14-of-23 shooting overall.
- Warner University hit 37.7% of its shots from the paint and 18.8% from the long range.
- Applying the pressure on the defensive side, the Conquistadors forced 9 turnovers and recorded 5 steals.
- Jeffrey Hernandez led FNU with 22 points and he also noted 3 rebounds, 1 assist and 4 steals.
- Jose Benitez recorded a double-double with 15 points and 12 assists.
- Kenneth Santos almost got a double-double as he noted 11 points, 9 rebounds, 1 block and 2 steals.
- Jaquan Robertson noted 18 points and 3 rebounds.
BEYOND THE BOX-SCORE:
- FNU record now is 17-6 this season.
- FNU recorded its sixth on the road win of the season.
- 7 players saw at least 15 minutes of action for the Conquistadors.
- Warner University out-rebounded Florida National 36-30 in the contest.
Florida National University
- Points: Jeffrey Hernandez (22)
- Rebounds: Kenneth Santos (9)
- Assists: Jose Benitez (12)
Florida National University men’s basketball team will now face Campbellsville University Harrodsburg on Thursday, January 23rd at 4:00 Pm. The game will take place at Bucky Dent Gym, Hialeah, Fla.
Ruy Castelo Branco – FNU – Sports Information Director
About FNU: Florida National University opened its first class on January 4th, 1988, in the city of Hialeah, Florida, as Florida International Institute under the administration of Dr. José Regueiro, Dr. María C. Regueiro and Mr. Omar Sánchez. FNU Athletic Department has more than 250 student-athletes in 11 different sports. Established in 2013, FNU Athletics is a member of the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) and the United States Collegiate Athletic Association (USCAA).
The mission of the Florida National University Athletic Department is to provide assistance within an athletic structure that promotes the development of a well rounded education through structured sport and competition, to develop life skills of discipline, integrity, leadership, philanthropy and social responsibility, to elevate ethnic and cultural diversity within the athletic programs, to assure equitable opportunity for all staff and student-athletes, and to make the athletic program a durable source of pride for the student population, student-athletes, alumni, university, and community of FNU.