Hialeah Fla. – Florida National University men’s basketball team won its fourth home game of the season as the Conquistadors overcame Carlow University 102-61. The contest was played on Friday Afternoon (Dec. 20th) at Bucky Dent Gym, Hialeah, Fla. With the win Florida National improves to a 11-6 record while Mitchell College falls to 0-14.
INSIDE THE MATCH-UP:
Final Score: Florida National University 102, Carlow University 61
Records: Florida National University (11-6), Carlow University (0-14)
Location: Bucky Dent Gym – Hialeah, Fla.
Florida National University Starters: Jeffrey Hernandez , Jose Benitez, Hirotaka Ohashi, Kenneth Santos, Nico Rojas
- FNU shot 59.7% from the field on 37-of-62 shooting overall but was hot from the field in the first half, hitting 65.50%.
- FNU shot 42.1% from downtown on 8-of-19 shooting.
- FNU recorded 87.0 FT% on 20-of-23 shooting overall.
- Carlow University hit 37.7% of its shots from the paint and 18.8% from the long range.
- Applying the pressure on the defensive side, the Conquistadors forced 22 turnovers and recorded 12 steals.
- Jeffrey Hernandez led FNU with 24 points and she also noted 3 rebounds, 3 assist and 6 steals.
- Nico Rojas recorded a double-double with 19 points and 11 rebounds.
- Kenneth Santos recorded 20 points, 10 rebounds, 1 assist and 4 steals.
- Hirotaka Ohashi recorded 8 points and he also noted 7 assists.
- Nico Rojas came of the bench with 6 points and 2 rebounds.
BEYOND THE BOX-SCORE:
- FNU record now is 11-6 this season.
- FNU recorded its fourth home win of the season
- 11 players saw at least five minutes of action for the Conquistadors.
- Florida National out-rebounded Carlow University 37-30 in the contest.
Florida National University
Florida National University men’s basketball team will now face Vermont Tech College on Saturday, December 28th at 12:00 Pm. The game will take place at Bucky Dent Gym, Hialeaeh, Fla.
Ruy Castelo Branco – FNU – Sports Information Director
About FNU: Florida National University opened its first class on January 4th, 1988, in the city of Hialeah, Florida, as Florida International Institute under the administration of Dr. José Regueiro, Dr. María C. Regueiro and Mr. Omar Sánchez. FNU Athletic Department has more than 250 student-athletes in 11 different sports. Established in 2013, FNU Athletics is a member of the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) and the United States Collegiate Athletic Association (USCAA).
The mission of the Florida National University Athletic Department is to provide assistance within an athletic structure that promotes the development of a well rounded education through structured sport and competition, to develop life skills of discipline, integrity, leadership, philanthropy and social responsibility, to elevate ethnic and cultural diversity within the athletic programs, to assure equitable opportunity for all staff and student-athletes, and to make the athletic program a durable source of pride for the student population, student-athletes, alumni, university, and community of FNU.