Hialeah Fla. – Florida National University men’s basketball team won its fifth home game of the season as the Conquistadors overcame Vermont Tech College 115-92. The contest was played on Saturday Afternoon (Dec. 28th) at Bucky Dent Gym, Hialeah, Fla. With the win Florida National improves to a 12-6 record while Vermont Tech College falls to 9-4.
INSIDE THE MATCH-UP:
Final Score: Florida National University 115, Vermont Tech College 92
Records: Florida National University (12-6), Vermont Tech College (9-4)
Location: Bucky Dent Gym – Hialeah, Fla.
Florida National University Starters: Jeffrey Hernandez , Jose Benitez, Hirotaka Ohashi, Kenneth Santos, Nico Rojas
- FNU shot 59.2% from the field on 45-of-76 shooting overall but was hot from the field in the first half, hitting 65.50%.
- FNU shot 40.7% from downtown on 11-of-27 shooting.
- FNU recorded 60.9 FT% on 14-of-23 shooting overall.
- Vermont Tech College hit 37.7% of its shots from the paint and 18.8% from the long range.
- Applying the pressure on the defensive side, the Conquistadors forced 9 turnovers and recorded 5 steals.
Posted by Florida National University Athletics on Saturday, December 28, 2019
- Jeffrey Hernandez led FNU with 29 points and he also noted 6 rebounds, 3 assist and 1 block.
- Hirotaka Ohashi recorded a double-double with 15 points and 10 assists.
- Kenneth Santos also recorded a double-double as he noted 22 points, 13 rebounds, 1 block and 2 steals.
- Jose Benitez recorded 12 points and he also noted 8 assists and 4 rebounds.
- Jaquan Robertson came of the bench with 18 points and 4 rebounds.
BEYOND THE BOX-SCORE:
- FNU record now is 12-6 this season.
- FNU recorded its fifth home win of the season.
- 9 players saw at least five minutes of action for the Conquistadors.
- Florida National out-rebounded Vermont Tech College 44-26 in the contest.
Florida National University
Florida National University men’s basketball team will now face Vermont Tech College on Sunday, December 29th at 1:00 Pm. The game will take place at Bucky Dent Gym, Hialeah, Fla.
Ruy Castelo Branco – FNU – Sports Information Director
About FNU: Florida National University opened its first class on January 4th, 1988, in the city of Hialeah, Florida, as Florida International Institute under the administration of Dr. José Regueiro, Dr. María C. Regueiro and Mr. Omar Sánchez. FNU Athletic Department has more than 250 student-athletes in 11 different sports. Established in 2013, FNU Athletics is a member of the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) and the United States Collegiate Athletic Association (USCAA).
The mission of the Florida National University Athletic Department is to provide assistance within an athletic structure that promotes the development of a well rounded education through structured sport and competition, to develop life skills of discipline, integrity, leadership, philanthropy and social responsibility, to elevate ethnic and cultural diversity within the athletic programs, to assure equitable opportunity for all staff and student-athletes, and to make the athletic program a durable source of pride for the student population, student-athletes, alumni, university, and community of FNU.