HIALEAH, FL – The Florida National University women’s volleyball team put up a fight that ended with a 3-2 victory in a tough home game against Johnson and Wales University played on Wednesday, September 11th at Bucky Dent Gym. The Conquistadors put the pressure on, coming back from five wins in the last six games.
Match Score: Florida National 3, Johnson and Wales University 2
Set Scores: 25-20, 20-25, 25-17, 20-25, 15-11
Records: Florida National (7-5), Johnson and Wales University (1-4)
Location: Bucky Dent Gym, Hialeah, Fla
How it happened
- FNU jumped out to a 1-0 lead following a 25-20 first-set victory.
- The Wildcats responded, taking set two, 25-20, to even the match (1-1).
- The Conquistadors re-took the lead with a 25-17 victory in set three but, JWU drew even once again, winning the fourth frame 25-20.
- The fifth set was tightly-contested, going-back-and-forth. However, FNU edged JWU, 15-11, for the 3-2 win.
Florida National University Highlights
- FNU was led by Maya Krapf who recorded her career high impressive 25 kills.
- Lina Valentino added 12 kills and 3 block assists.
- Afraina Ammerlaan recorded 4 kills and 12 digs.
- Andrea Romero had 18 digs and 3 Assists.
- Carolina Arrias Dantas and Gabriela Hernandez recorded 21 and 23 assists respectively.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- FNU record is now 8-5 on the season.
- FNU recorded its second home win this season.
- FNU registered a .150 hitting percentage, recording 54 total kills on 180 attacks with 27 errors.
- The Wildcats ended the night with an attack percentage of .084 recording 40 total kills on 178 total attacks with 25 errors.
- The Conquistadors held a 107-94 edge in digs.
The Lady Conquistadors will face Florida Memorial University on Thursday, September 19th at 7:00 pm at Miami Gardens.