Boca Raton, Fla. – Florida National University women’s soccer team was defeated to NCAA DII Lynn University on the road on Saturday afternoon at 6:00 Pm. The match was played at the Bobby Campbell Stadium | Boca Raton, Fla. With the loss, FNU falls to 5-10-1 on the year while Lynn University improves to 6-7-3 on the season.
INSIDE THE MATCH UP:
- Score: Florida National University 1 x 2 Lynn University
- Records: Florida National (5-10-1), Lynn University (6-7-3).
- Location: Bobby Campbell Stadium | Boca Raton, Fla.
- All-time Series: Lynn leads 1-0-1
- 57:20 | FNU – Noriann Gaviria (Florida National) 0-1
- 39:20 | LYNN– Anniina Sankoh (Crystal Hagberg) 1-1
- 87:51 | LYNN – Crystal Ayn Hagberg (Lynn University) 2-1
HOW IT HAPPENED
- FNU scored on a shot from of a long distance free kick scored by Norian Gaviria to take a 1-0 lead in the 57th minute.
- With its back against the wall, Lynn answered in a major way in the 74th minute, as a corner from Hagberg found Sankoh’s foot in the box and she fired a thunderous, right-footed volley past the FNU goalie.
- Hagberg got in on the scoring action in the waning moments as she slotted a curling, free kick into the ‘upper 90’ to cement the win for the Blue and White with just two and a half minutes to go.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE:
- FNU concludes the season with a record 5-10-1.
- Linn University out-shot Florida National, 20-3.
The Conquistadors will now go to USCAA National Tournament. The tournament will be played between November 7th and 11th at Virginia Beach, VA.
Ruy Castelo Branco – FNU – Sports Information Director
About FNU: Florida National University opened its first class on January 4th, 1988, in the city of Hialeah, Florida, as Florida International Institute under the administration of Dr. José Regueiro, Dr. María C. Regueiro and Mr. Omar Sánchez. FNU Athletic Department has more than 250 student-athletes in 11 different sports. Established in 2013, FNU Athletics is a member of the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) and the United States Collegiate Athletic Association (USCAA).
The mission of the Florida National University Athletic Department is to provide assistance within an athletic structure that promotes the development of a well rounded education through structured sport and competition, to develop life skills of discipline, integrity, leadership, philanthropy and social responsibility, to elevate ethnic and cultural diversity within the athletic programs, to assure equitable opportunity for all staff and student-athletes, and to make the athletic program a durable source of pride for the student population, student-athletes, alumni, university, and community of FNU.