FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. – The Florida National University baseball team played against Southern Connecticut State University. The Conquistadors lost a 10 innings battle 12-11. The contest was played at Westminster Academy Athletic Complex, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, home of the Conquistadors. With the results, the Conquistadors falls to 1-6 while the Owls improves to 1-0.
INSIDE THE MATCH-UP:
Matchup: Southern Connecticut State University vs. Florida National University
Final Score: Southern Connecticut State University 12, Florida National University 11
Records: Southern Connecticut State University (1-0), Florida National University (1-6)
Location: Westminster Academy Athletic Complex, Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- A first-inning home run put the Owls out in front early with a 1-0 lead.
- Southern tacked on two more runs in the third.
- Southern made it 5-0 in a single home run before scoring in a ball walk.
- The Conquistadors’ first run came in the fifth inning with a single home run.
- After Florida National got on the board in the fifth, Southern pushed its lead to 7-1 in the bottom of the inning.
- In the sixth, Rodgers was tagged for two more runs before leaving with two runners on. With a six-run sixth, FNU tied the game at 7-7.
- Zambito delivered again in the eighth with the go-ahead run to make it 9-8.
- In the ninth, the Owls pushed their lead to 11-8 on an RBI single and give the Owls a three-run lead.
- After FNU tied it in the bottom of the ninth with a three-run outburst, The owls drove in with the go-ahead run in the top of the 10th before.
- The owls retired the Conquistadors in order, including back-to-back strikeouts to end the game.
Florida National University Baseball team will now face Southern Connecticut State University on Saturday for a doubleheader. The contest will take place in Fort Lauderdale, FL.
STAY CONNECTED: Follow FNU athletics on social Media:
Ruy Castelo Branco – FNU – Sports Information Director
About FNU: Florida National University opened its first class on January 4th, 1988, in the city of Hialeah, Florida, as Florida International Institute under the administration of Dr. José Regueiro, Dr. María C. Regueiro, and Mr. Omar Sánchez. FNU Athletic Department has more than 250 student-athletes in 11 different sports. Established in 2013, FNU Athletics is a member of the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) and the United States Collegiate Athletic Association (USCAA).
The mission of the Florida National University Athletic Department is to provide assistance within an athletic structure that promotes the development of a well-rounded education through structured sport and competition, to develop life skills of discipline, integrity, leadership, philanthropy and social responsibility, to elevate ethnic and cultural diversity within the athletic programs, to assure equitable opportunity for all staff and student-athletes, and to make the athletic program a durable source of pride for the student population, student-athletes, alumni, university, and community of FNU.