PIKEVILLE, KY – Florida National University Men’s Basketball team defeated Bluefiled College on Friday night (Oct. 25th) at Pikeville, (KY) and lost a tough game on Saturday (Oct. 26th) against #5 in the Nation University of Pikeville with both games being played on the University of Pikeville at Pikeville, KY.
INSIDE THE MATCH-UP:
Final Score: Florida National University 98, Bluefiled College 80
Records: Florida National University (2-0), Bluefiled College (0-1)
Location: University of Pikeville , Pikeville, KY.
Florida National University Starters: Jeffrey Hernandez , Jose Benitez, Hirotaka Ohashi, Kenneth Santos, Matteo Baggio
Bluefiled College Starters: Niquan Cousins, Jermiah Jenkins, Damauri Sexton, Omega Stitt, Trent Dunn.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Conquistadors started strong opening 23-7 in the first minutes of the contest.
- Florida National University finished the first half with a 59-35 lead.
- The Conquistadors kept the lead to secure the 98-80 win.
- FNU shot 62.3% from the field on 38-of-61 shooting overall but was hot from the field in the first half, hitting 70.97%.
- FNU shot 47.6% from downtown on 10-of-21 shooting.
- FNU recorded 66.7 FT% on 12-of-18 shooting overall.
- Bluefiled College hit 45.8% of its shots from the paint and 38.5.% from the long range.
- Applying the pressure on the defensive side, the Conquistadors forced 14 turnovers and recorded 7 steals.
- Jeffrey Hernandez scored a team high 30 points, and added a team high six assists, and two steals.
- Kenneth Santos noted 24 points, 8 rebounds and 2 assists, going 9-of-15 from the field and 6-for-12 from Downtown.
- Kenneth Santos led the Conquistadors on the boards with eight rebounds and he also scored 24 points and recorded two assists.
- Nico Rojas came off the bench with 13 points, shooting 5-of-7 from the field and he also recorded six rebounds.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- FNU record now is 2-0 this season.
- FNU improved its away record to 2-0.
- 6 players saw at least ten minutes of action for the Conquistadors.
- Florida National out-rebounded Bluefield College 37-32 in the contest.
- All FNU players played at least 5 minutes in the contest.
Florida National University
Florida National University men’s basketball Team will now face University of Pikesville on Saturday, October 26th at 7:00 Pm. The game will take place at Pikeville, KY.
Ruy Castelo Branco – FNU – Sports Information Director
About FNU: Florida National University opened its first class on January 4th, 1988, in the city of Hialeah, Florida, as Florida International Institute under the administration of Dr. José Regueiro, Dr. María C. Regueiro and Mr. Omar Sánchez. FNU Athletic Department has more than 250 student-athletes in 11 different sports. Established in 2013, FNU Athletics is a member of the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) and the United States Collegiate Athletic Association (USCAA).
The mission of the Florida National University Athletic Department is to provide assistance within an athletic structure that promotes the development of a well rounded education through structured sport and competition, to develop life skills of discipline, integrity, leadership, philanthropy and social responsibility, to elevate ethnic and cultural diversity within the athletic programs, to assure equitable opportunity for all staff and student-athletes, and to make the athletic program a durable source of pride for the student population, student-athletes, alumni, university, and community of FNU.