Hialeah, Fla. – Florida National University Men’s Basketball team lost its home opener for the first time in school history. The Conquistadors lost to Point Park University on Friday afternoon (Nov. 8th) the contest was played at Bucky Dent park Gym – Hialeah, Fla. With the loss Florida National falls to a 3-3 record while Point Park improves to 2-0.
INSIDE THE MATCH-UP:
Final Score: Florida National University 85, Point Park University 99
Records: Florida National University (3-3), Point Park University (2-0)
Location: Bucky Dent park Gym – Hialeah, Fla.
Florida National University Starters: Jeffrey Hernandez , Jose Benitez, Hirotaka Ohashi, Kenneth Santos, Matteo Baggio
Point Park University Starters: Reagan Turner, DeAsia Outlaw, Haeli Howard, Maleigha Oldham, J’Nayah Hall
- FNU shot 62.5% from the field on 30-of-48 shooting overall but was hot from the field in the first half, hitting 66.00%.
- FNU shot 64.3% from downtown on 9-of-14 shooting.
- FNU recorded 72.7 FT% on 16-of-22 shooting overall.
- Point Park University hit 74.5% of its shots from the paint and 46.2% from the long range.
- Applying the pressure on the defensive side, the Conquistadors forced 16 turnovers and recorded 7 steals.
- Thomas Dillon came of the bench to led FNU with amazing 25 points and he also noted 3 rebounds and recorded one assist.
- Jose Benitez scored a team-high 18 points, and added 5 rebounds and 5 assists.
- Kenneth Santos led the Conquistadors on the boards with amazing 7 rebounds and he also scored 20 points.
- Hirotaka Ohashirecorded incredible 13 assists.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- FNU record now is 3-3 this season.
- FNU lost its home opener for the first time in the school history
- 7 players saw at least fourteen minutes of action for the Conquistadors.
- Florida National out-rebounded Point Park University 26-16 in the contest.
Florida National University
Florida National University men’s basketball team will now face Stillman College on Friday, November 15th at 6:00 Pm. The game will take place at Jacksonville, FL.
Ruy Castelo Branco – FNU – Sports Information Director
About FNU: Florida National University opened its first class on January 4th, 1988, in the city of Hialeah, Florida, as Florida International Institute under the administration of Dr. José Regueiro, Dr. María C. Regueiro and Mr. Omar Sánchez. FNU Athletic Department has more than 250 student-athletes in 11 different sports. Established in 2013, FNU Athletics is a member of the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) and the United States Collegiate Athletic Association (USCAA).
The mission of the Florida National University Athletic Department is to provide assistance within an athletic structure that promotes the development of a well rounded education through structured sport and competition, to develop life skills of discipline, integrity, leadership, philanthropy and social responsibility, to elevate ethnic and cultural diversity within the athletic programs, to assure equitable opportunity for all staff and student-athletes, and to make the athletic program a durable source of pride for the student population, student-athletes, alumni, university, and community of FNU.