Jacksonville Fla. – Florida National University Men’s basketball team defeated against Edwart Waters College on Saturday 85 x 81 in a Men’s Basketball contest Saturday evening at the Adams-Jenkins Complex.
The Tigers came out of the gate slowly and trailed the visiting Conquistadors by 10 points at 28-18 with 8:24 remaining in the first half. EWC closed out the half strong, going on an 18-6 run to take a 36-34 lead going into the locker room. The second half was a back and forth affair as Florida National led by as much as four points in the early going. Again, Edward Waters was not to be denied as timely shooting from the three-point line and critical free throws down the stretch, helped the Purple & Orange snap their losing skid.
Edward Waters connected on 48.4% of their shots to 40% for Florida National, and outshot the Conquistadors 42% to 24% from the bonus sphere. Florida National did take the advantage on the boards, 46-36 and an 18-10 edge in offensive rebounding. Edward Waters was able to force 12 FNU turnovers, including eight steals on the night.
Florida National also had three players in double-figures led by Antonio Sims who also had 30 points, six rebounds, and two assists. Nico Rojas had a double-double with 16 points and 10 boards, while Jose Benitez also had a double-double with 10 points and 11 boards for the Conquistadors.
Markel Williams had his best game of the season, recording a season-high 30 points on 10-of-19 shooting and went 4-of-6 from three-point range. Jontavius Littles had 20 points and six rebounds, while Harlan Williams, Sr. finished with 17 points, including going 3-of-5 from three-point range, and also added six rebounds for EWC.
Credit: EWC Athletics Website
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Florida National University 81, Edward Waters College 85.
Records: Florida National University (7-6), Edward Waters College (4-5)
Location: Adams-Jenkins Complex. Jacksonville, Fla.
FNU Starters: Jeffrey Hernandez , Nico Rojas , Jose Benitez , Antonio Sims, Kenneth Santos.
EWC Starters: Sean Dinkins, Cedric McGinnis, Robert Thomas, Chris Oakley, Jontavius Littles.
STATS OF THE GAME:
- FNU shot 40.0% from the field on 28-of-70 shooting overall but was hot from the field in the first half, hitting 42.9% on 15-of-35.
- FNU shot only 24% from downtown on 6-of-25 shooting.
- Edward Waters College hit 48.4% of its shots from the paint and 42.1% from the long range.
- Applying the pressure on the defensive side, the Conquistadors forced 11 turnovers and recorded 12 steals.
- FNU had three players double-figures led by Antonio Sims who had 30 points, six rebounds, and two assists. Nico Rojas had a double-double with 16 points and 10 boards, while Jose Benitez also had a double-double with 10 points and 11 boards for the Conquistadors.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- FNU record now is 7-7this season.
- FNU On the road record is now 3-5.
- 7 players saw at least ten minutes of action for the Conquistadors.
- Florida National out-rebounded EWC 46-36 in the contest.
The Conquistadors will face Florida Memorial University on Tuesday December 11th, at home with a tip-off of 8:30 p.m.