SAVANNAH, GA – Back-to-Back National Champions Florida National University Men’s Soccer team earns road win in season opener defeating Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD) 1-0.
Match Score: Florida National University 1, Savannah College of Art and Design 0
Records: Florida National University (1-0), Savannah College of Art and Design (1-2)
Location: Savannah, GA
27:38 | FNU – Denilson de Almeida (unassisted) 1-0
HOW IT HAPPENED
- FNU started the game pressuring high the bees, with 9 minutes FNU took its first shot with Manuel Villegas, the shot was saved by Joe Parker.
- Manuel Villegas took three of the Conquistadors’ six shots through the first 45 minutes, with all three being near misses or saves.
- FNU took a 1-0 lead after a 27th minute goal by sophomore Denilson de Almeida.
- SCAD’s only chance to score in the first half came from a corner kick by Lewis Gamble at the 44:41 mark.
- FNU led the game in shots (11-1), shots on goal (3-0) and corner kicks (4-2) while SCAD led in saves (2-0).
- In the second half, the Bees were unable to get a shot off as the defense held the Conquistadors to zero shots on goal.
FNU’s Rodrigo Festuccia (W, 1-0) recorded zero saves in the game, where FNU played amazing in defense, while Joe Parker (L, 1-2) stopped two out of the three shots he faced in the complete game effort.
- FNU was led by #10 Denilson de Almeida who scored FNU’s first goal of 2019-2020’ season.
- #11 Manuel Villegas took 4 shots on the game and.
- # 1 Rodrigo Festuccia recorded his first shutout of the season.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE:
- FNU record is now 1-0 on the season.
- FNU recorded its first away win this season.
The Conquistadors now have 4 days to prepare to the next match on Wednesday, August 28th where FNU will face Lynn University at 1:00 p.m. in Boca Raton, Florida.
Ruy Castelo Branco – FNU – Sports Information Director