MIAMI GARDENS, FL. – Florida National University Men’s soccer team (4-2) suffered its second loss of the season on Saturday evening falling 2-1 to #21 St.Thomas University (4-0). The match was played at St. Thomas Bobcats Field. With the loss, FNU falls to 4-2-0 on the year while St. Thomas improves to 4-0-0.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
- Score: Florida National University 1 x 2 St. Thomas University
- Records: Florida National (4-2), St. Thomas University (1-1).
- Location: St. Thomas University | Miami Gardens, Fla
- 49:41 | STU – Mads Rismoen (Santiago Gil ) 1-0
- 49:41 | FNU – Mads Rismoen (Matt Roberts ) 2-0
- 49:41 | FNU – Manuel Villegas (unassisted) 2-1
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Slow start for both teams, but the Bobcats were able to get the first shot off from the foot of Greco that was saved by the Facundo Grimberg in the ninth minute.
- The first half was quiet there was only a total of three shots from both teams.
- The second half had a lot more action as the shots started racking up.
- FNU was on the attack getting back-to-back shots with Manuel Villegas and Denilson de Almeida in the 65th minute.
- The relentless Bobcat defense came up big with a Marx save and backline block, giving the Conquistadors a corner kick that was quickly clearly.
- Mads Rismoen came to the Bobcats rescue just a minute later to break the silence and score the first goal of the match beating the keeper with an assist from Santiago Gil.
- Florida National looked for a quick retaliation with a shot on goal of their own seconds later with Francisco Perkins but Marx came up big with another save.
- St. Thomas scored its second goal in the 79th minute.
- FNU was able to cut the lead in half in the 85th minute with a beautiful goal scored by Manuel Villegas but that was it for the Conquistadors.
- Furthermore, FNU lead the game in shots (8-5), shots on goal (6-3) while STU led in saves (5-1).
FNU’s goalkeeper Facundo Grimberg recorded one saves in the game, while Michael Marx stopped five out of the six shots he faced in the complete game effort.
- FNU was led by Manuel Villegas who scored FNU’s goal and his third goal of the season.
- Manuel Villegas took 4 shots on the game.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE:
- FNU record is now 4-2 on the season.
- FNU recorded its second loss this season.
- Florida National out-shot St. Thomas University, 8-5.
The Conquistadors will now face the NCAA Division II, University of West Alabama on Wednesday, September 18th at 7:00 p.m. in Livingston, AL