HIALEAH, FL – Florida National University women’s soccer team in a thrilling double-overtime match against crosstown rival St. Thomas University on Tuesday evening. The match was played at STU Soccer Field in Miami Gardens, FL. With the loss, Florida National University falls to 3-8-1 on the season, while St. Thomas University improves its record (6-3-1) on the year.
INSIDE THE MATCH UP:
- Score: Florida National University 2 x 3 St. Thomas University
- Records: Florida National University (3-8-1), St. Thomas University (6-3-1).
- Location: STU Soccer Field | Miami Gardens, FL.
- 20:10 | FNU – Juliana Oliveira (unassisted) 0-1
- 38:43 | STU – Andrea Manzur (L. Weide) 1-1
- 48:44 | STU – Sandy Benito (unassisted) 2-1
- 57:55 | FNU – Bethania Cruz (J. Magalhaes) 2-2
- 105:37 | STU – Leslie Celis (L. Weide) 3-2
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- FNU scored the first goal of the game in the 21st minute with Juliana Oliveira who scored her fourth goal of the season, as Florida National took a 1-0 lead over the Bobcats.
- On the Bobcats final attempt of the first half, Leonie Weide chipped a pass over the defense and Andrea Manzur finished the chance, tying the match at 1-1.
- Four minutes into the second half, the other Bobcats captain,Sandy Benito, gave STU the lead off a penalty kick.
- The Conquistadors tied the match in the 58th minute, as Bethania Cruz beat the Bobcat keeper, finishing a corner kick with a header assisted by Jurema Magalhaes.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE:
- FNU record is now 3-8-1 in the season.
- FNU recorded its Fifth away loss on this season.
- St. Thomas University out-shot Florida National University, 26-7.
- Florida National dribbled the ball out, finishing the second half and sending the game to overtime.
- After 100-minutes, the match remained tied and sent into the second overtime.
- In the 106th minute, Leslie Celis scored her first career game-winning goal, finishing a header off a corner kick to give STU the lead.
The Lady Conquistadors will now face Webber International University on Wednesday, October 23rd at 2:00 p.m. at Goodlet Park Soccer Field, FL.
STAY CONNECTED – Follow FNU athletics on social Media: Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.
Ruy Castelo Branco – FNU – Sports Information Director
About FNU: Florida National University opened its first class on January 4th, 1988, in the city of Hialeah, Florida, as Florida International Institute under the administration of Dr. José Regueiro, Dr. María C. Regueiro and Mr. Omar Sánchez. FNU Athletic Department has more than 250 student-athletes in 11 different sports. Established in 2013, FNU Athletics is a member of the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) and the United States Collegiate Athletic Association (USCAA).
The mission of the Florida National University Athletic Department is to provide assistance within an athletic structure that promotes the development of a well rounded education through structured sport and competition, to develop life skills of discipline, integrity, leadership, philanthropy and social responsibility, to elevate ethnic and cultural diversity within the athletic programs, to assure equitable opportunity for all staff and student-athletes, and to make the athletic program a durable source of pride for the student population, student-athletes, alumni, university, and community of FNU.