HIALEAH, FL – The Florida National University women’s volleyball team put up a fight that ended with a 3-1 loss against St. Thomas University played on Tuesday, October 22nd at Miami Gardens, Florida.
Match Score: Florida National University 1, St. Thomas University 3
Set Scores: 21-25, 19-25, 25-21, 20-25
Records: Florida National (12-11), St. Thomas University (8-13)
Location: Fernandez Family Center – Miami Gardens, FL.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- St. Thomas University jumped out to a 1-0 lead following a 25-21 first-set victory.
- The Bobcats led the second set in kills and assists, taking set two, 25-19.
- Florida National University took the third set to give some hope to the Conquistadors. 25-21.
- The fourth set was tightly-contested, going-back-and-forth. However, STU edged Florida National, 25-20 for the 3-1 win.
- FNU was led by Maya Krapf who recorded a double-double with 15 kills and 13 digs. She also added 1 service ace.
- Lina Valentino recorded 8 kills and 1 block solo.
- Andrea Romero had 23 digs and 2 Assists.
- Gabriela Hernandez and Maria Alejandra Liva recorded 32 and 11 assists respectively.
- FNU’s Player of the week Afraina Ammerlaan recorded FNU 10 kills and 1 assist.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE:
- FNU finish the season with a 12-11.
- FNU recorded its fifth away loss on the season.
- FNU registered a .116 hitting percentage, recording 41 total kills on 146 attacks with 24 errors.
- The Bobcats ended the night with an attack percentage of .150 recording 52 total kills on 160 total attacks with 28 errors.
- both teams recorded 69 digs each.
- FNU Conquistadors recorded 4 Service aces while St. Thomas noted 5 service aces.
- The Bobcats out-blocked FNU with 8 total blocks against 3 of the Conquistadors.
Florida National University Women’s Volleyball Team will now face Florida Memorial University on Thursday, October 17th at 7:00 Pm. The game will take place at Bucky Dent Gym, FL.
Ruy Castelo Branco – FNU – Sports Information Director
About FNU: Florida National University opened its first class on January 4th, 1988, in the city of Hialeah, Florida, as Florida International Institute under the administration of Dr. José Regueiro, Dr. María C. Regueiro and Mr. Omar Sánchez. FNU Athletic Department has more than 250 student-athletes in 11 different sports. Established in 2013, FNU Athletics is a member of the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) and the United States Collegiate Athletic Association (USCAA).
The mission of the Florida National University Athletic Department is to provide assistance within an athletic structure that promotes the development of a well rounded education through structured sport and competition, to develop life skills of discipline, integrity, leadership, philanthropy and social responsibility, to elevate ethnic and cultural diversity within the athletic programs, to assure equitable opportunity for all staff and student-athletes, and to make the athletic program a durable source of pride for the student population, student-athletes, alumni, university, and community of FNU.