Jacksonville, Florida- Edward Waters staved off a late comeback attempt to hold on and earn a 68-59 home victory over the visiting Conquistadors of Florida National University in a non-conference Women’s Basketball matchup Saturday afternoon at the Adams-Jenkins Complex.
The Lady Tigers enjoyed a 28-19 lead at halftime and extended their lead to as much as 16 points midway through the third quarter. Florida National cut into the lead thanks to miscues and turnovers on Edward Waters part and got to within two points of the lead with 3:01 left in the fourth. EWC was able to get separation from the Conquistadors and earn their fourth consecutive victory against countable competition (the Florida A&M contest on 12/1 was an exhibition game for Edward Waters and does not count against their record).
FNU outshot Edward Waters 37% to 31%, but EWC dominated on the glass, 57-38 including a 35-23 advantage in offensive rebounds. Florida National also took the advantage in turnovers, forcing 35 Edward Waters turnovers to 33 for the Conquistadors. Edward Waters recorded 18 steals and four blocks as a team for the contest.
The Lady Tigers had two players that recorded double-doubles on the night, led by sophomore guard/forward La’Quanza Glover’s game high 22 points 13 boards, and five steals. Jermisha Collins finished with 17 points, 11 boards, and four steals for Edward Waters.
Florida National also had two players in double-figures, led by Shannon Rosensteel with 14 points and three rebounds. Ashley Williams chipped in with 13 points, a team high eight rebounds, and four steals.
Credit: EWC Athletics Website
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Florida National University 81, Edward Waters College 85.
Records: Florida National University (6-10), Edward Waters College (9-5)
Location: Adams-Jenkins Complex. Jacksonville, Fla.
STATS OF THE GAME:
- FNU shot 37.7% from the field on 23-of-61 shooting overall but was hot from the field in the Second half, hitting 51.7% on 15-of-29.
- FNU shot only 17.6% from downtown on 3-of-17 shooting.
- Edward Waters College hit 31.3% of its shots from the paint and 21.4% from the long range.
- Applying the pressure on the defensive side, the Conquistadors forced 35 turnovers and recorded 17 steals.
- Florida National also had two players in double-figures, led by Shannon Rosensteel with 14 points and three rebounds.
- Ashley Williams chipped in with 13 points, a team high eight rebounds, and four steals.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- FNU record now is 6-10 this season.
- FNU On the road record is now 2-7.
- 9 players saw at least ten minutes of action for the Conquistadors.
- EWC out-rebounded FNU 57-38 in the contest.
The Conquistadors will face Florida Memorial University on Tuesday December 11th, at home with a tip-off of 6:30 p.m.