West Palm Beach, Fla. – Florida National University women’s basketball team lost its seventh on the road game of the season as the Conquistadors dropped to Keiser University in a thrilling battle 75-58. The contest was played on Tuesday night (Dec. 10th) at Student Life Center, West Palm Beach, Fla. With the loss Florida National falls to a 5-10 record while Keiser University improves to 6-5.
INSIDE THE MATCH-UP:
Final Score: Florida National University 58, Keiser University 75
Records: Florida National University (5-10), Keiser University (6-5)
Location: Student Life Center, West Palm Beach, Fla.
Florida National University Starters: Adria Stewart , Brianna Richardson, Ashley Williams, Brandilyn Robertson, Shannon Roseensteel
HOW IT HAPPENED:
First Quarter: Keiser 13, FNU 19
- The Seahawks claimed an early 5-2 lead before Florida National scored five straight points, taking their first advantage of the night, 7-5, with 6:00 remaining.
- Following two ties, Brianna Richardson hit a three-pointer, extending the FNU advantage to 12-9 with 3:48 left.
- Keiser got as a close one, 14-13, but the Conquistadors closed the quarter on a 5-0 run to lead, 19-13.
Second Quarter: Keiser 31, FNU 29
- Nikki Saunders and Antigonie Sanabria hit back-to-back jumpers, bringing KU to within two, 19-17, at the 7:33 mark.
- FNU upped their margin to 23-19 before Keiser tallied five straight points, reclaiming a 24-23 lead with 4:35 showing.
- The Conquistadors answered back with a three-pointer but a Kelly Meade free throw and an old-fashion three-point play by Sanabria put the Seahawks back on top, 28-26 with 2:20 to go.
- After trading leads, Meade drilled a three-pointer to give Keiser a 31-29 advantage at the halftime break.
Third Quarter: Keiser 52, FNU 42
- The Seahawks opened the frame on a 7-3 run, upping their advantage to 38-32 with 6:40 to go.
- Florida National closed the gap to two before Keiser went on a 10-0 run, extending the margin to 48-36 with 3:23 left. During the stretch, Emily Patton and Sanabria connected from deep.
- The visitors outscored the Seahawks 6-4 down the stretch but Keiser led 52-42 with one quarter remaining.
Fourth Quarter: Keiser 60, FNU 65
- The Seahawks scored 10 of the first 13 points as their lead stood at 62-45 with 6:35 remaining. Keiser started the quarter on a 6-0 run with three different players contributing.
- KU used a 9-0 eruption later in the frame, pushing their advantage to the largest of the game, 75-49 with 2:23 showing. In the stretch, Sanabria tallied seven points.
- Keiser would go on to win the non-conference game by a final of 75-58.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- FNU record now is 5-10 this season.
- FNU recorded its seventh on the road loss of the season.
Florida National University men’s basketball team will now face Johnson & Wales University on Wednesday, December 11th at 6:00 Pm. The game will take place at Bucky Dent Gym, Hialeah, Fla.
Ruy Castelo Branco – FNU – Sports Information Director
About FNU: Florida National University opened its first class on January 4th, 1988, in the city of Hialeah, Florida, as Florida International Institute under the administration of Dr. José Regueiro, Dr. María C. Regueiro and Mr. Omar Sánchez. FNU Athletic Department has more than 250 student-athletes in 11 different sports. Established in 2013, FNU Athletics is a member of the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) and the United States Collegiate Athletic Association (USCAA).
The mission of the Florida National University Athletic Department is to provide assistance within an athletic structure that promotes the development of a well rounded education through structured sport and competition, to develop life skills of discipline, integrity, leadership, philanthropy and social responsibility, to elevate ethnic and cultural diversity within the athletic programs, to assure equitable opportunity for all staff and student-athletes, and to make the athletic program a durable source of pride for the student population, student-athletes, alumni, university, and community of FNU.