MIAMI GARDENS, FL. – Florida National University women’s soccer team (0-3) suffered its third loss of the season on Sunday evening falling 1-0 to St. Thomas University (1-1). The match was played at St. Thomas Bobcats Field. With the loss, FNU falls to 0-3-0 on the year while St. Thomas improves to 1-1-0.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
- Score: Florida National University 0 x 1 St. Thomas University
- Records: Florida National (0-3), St. Thomas University (1-1).
- Location: St. Thomas University | Miami Gardens, Fla
08:32 | STU – Kayla Jackson (Katharina Jullich) 1-0
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- St. Thomas opened the game with eleven shots in the first half, missing two opportunities to score goals as shots hit the crossbar
- In the 67th minute, St. Thomas scored their first goal of the season as Kayla Jackson found the back of the net, following a cross by Jullich to give STU a 1-0 lead.
- STU’s defense suffocated the Conquistador offense, allowing one shot over the final 25-minutes of play.
- Furthermore, STU lead the game in shots (19-2), shots on goal (7-0) while FNU led in saves (6-0).
Head Coach Giovanni De La Rosa said ” Good Game, all players came ready to play it was nice to see junior midfielder Iman Ali-Dib playing well, not the result we wanted but we got the effort that is needed to compete”.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- St. Thomas University out-shot Florida National, 19-2
- STU is undefeated all-time (3-0) against FNU
FNU’s Vanessa Osorio recorded six saves in the match, while Melanie Lefebvre stopped zero shots in the complete game effort.
The Lady Conquistadors will now have 4 days to prepare to the next match on Friday, September 13th where FNU will face Florida Memorial University at 3:00 p.m. in Hialeah for the second home game of the season.
STAY CONNECTED – Follow FNU athletics on social media: Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and Youtube