Lake Wales, Fla. – Florida National University women’s basketball team conquered its third win on the road. The Conquistadors defeated Warner University on Tuesday night (Nov. 26th) The contest was played at Turner Athletic Center, Lake Wales, Fla. With the win Florida National improves to a 3-7 record while Warner University falls to 1-7. The Royals and Conquistadors met up for the second time this season and the Conquistadors were able to best the Royals on a last second Foul. The Royals fell to Florida National 62-63.
INSIDE THE MATCH-UP:
Final Score: Florida National University 58, Warner University 52
Records: Florida National University (2-7), Warner University (1-7)
Location: Turner Athletic Center – Lake Wales, Fla.
History: FNU now leads the all time series 3-1.
Florida National University Starters: Destiny Lindsey, Ashley Williams, Brandilyn Robertson, Shannon Roseensteel, Adria Stewart.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Stumbling in the first quarter the Royals found themselves trailing quickly 10-25. The offense heated up in the second quarter holding the Conquistadors to 10 and the Royals netted 19 more trailing just 29-35 at half.
- The Royals hit a jumper with 2:08 left in the third quarter that gave the Royals their first lead of the night 44-43. The game stayed close right up until the final seconds.
- The Royals held the lead 62-61 with 2.8 seconds on the clock when the Conquistadors drew a clutch foul and nailed both free throws to take the 63-62 lead.
- The Royals were able to receive the quick inbound from and get off the quick shot for a long three but it bounced off the right side of the rim as the buzzer hit and the Royals fell 62-63.
- FNU shot 36.7% from the field on 22-of-60 shooting overall but was hot from the field in the first quarter, hitting 41.0%.
- FNU shot 33.3% from downtown on 10-of-30 shooting.
- FNU recorded 64.3 FT% on 9-of-14 shooting overall.
- Warner University hit 39.7% of its shots from the paint and 18.2% from the long range.
- Applying the pressure on the defensive side, the Conquistadors forced 17 turnovers and recorded 12 steals.
- Ashley Williams led FNU recording a double-double with 13 points and 13 rebounds and she also recorded 6 assists and 1 steal.
- Adria Stewart recorded 16 points, 2 rebounds, 4 assists and 3 steals.
- Brianna Richardson came of the bench with 8 points in 11 minutes.
BEYOND THE BOX-SCORE:
- This is the second meeting this season between the two teams and unfortunately for the Royals the FNU Conquistadors took both wins.
- FNU record now is 3-7 this season.
- FNU recorded its third on the road win of the season.
- 8 players saw at least ten minutes of action for the Conquistadors.
- Warner University out-rebounded Florida National 59-51 in the contest.
Florida National University
Florida National University women’s basketball team will now face Southeastern University on Friday, November 29th at 7:00 Pm. The game will take place at Lakeland, FL.
Ruy Castelo Branco – FNU – Sports Information Director
About FNU: Florida National University opened its first class on January 4th, 1988, in the city of Hialeah, Florida, as Florida International Institute under the administration of Dr. José Regueiro, Dr. María C. Regueiro and Mr. Omar Sánchez. FNU Athletic Department has more than 250 student-athletes in 11 different sports. Established in 2013, FNU Athletics is a member of the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) and the United States Collegiate Athletic Association (USCAA).
The mission of the Florida National University Athletic Department is to provide assistance within an athletic structure that promotes the development of a well rounded education through structured sport and competition, to develop life skills of discipline, integrity, leadership, philanthropy and social responsibility, to elevate ethnic and cultural diversity within the athletic programs, to assure equitable opportunity for all staff and student-athletes, and to make the athletic program a durable source of pride for the student population, student-athletes, alumni, university, and community of FNU.