Fort Lauderdale, Fla. – Florida National University women’s basketball team won its fifth on the road game of the season as the Conquistadors overcame NAIA #13 Nationally ranked Dakota Wesleyan University in a thrilling battle in the biggest win in the program history. The contest was played on Wednesday afternoon (Dec. 18th). The contest was played at Fort Lauderdale Convention Center, Fort Lauderdale, Fla. With the win Florida National improves to a 7-10 record while Dakota Wesleyan University to 10-4.
INSIDE THE MATCH-UP:
Final Score: Florida National University 68, Dakota Wesleyan University 65
Records: Florida National University (7-10), Dakota Wesleyan University (10-4)
Location: Fort Lauderdale Convention Center – Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
Florida National University Starters: Adria Stewart , Brianna Richardson, Ashley Williams, Brandilyn Robertson, Shannon Roseensteel
- FNU shot 42.2% from the field on 19-of-45 shooting overall but was hot from the field in the first half, hitting 52.50%.
- FNU shot 23.1% from downtown on 3-of-13 shooting.
- FNU recorded 73.1 FT% on 19-of-26 shooting overall.
- Dakota Wesleyan University hit 24.3% of its shots from the paint and 6.5% from the long range.
- Applying the pressure on the defensive side, the Conquistadors forced 16 turnovers and recorded 10 steals.
- Ashley Williams led FNU with 14 points and she also noted 7 rebounds and 1 assist.
- Adria Stewart recorded 11 points, 8 rebounds, 1 assist and 1 steal.
- Brianna Richardson recorded 8 points and she also noted 2 rebounds and 4 assists.
- Brandilyn Robertson led the Conquistadors on the boards with 10 rebounds. She also recorded 8 points and 1 steal.
- Shannon Roseensteel recorded 7 points, 5 rebounds and 2 assists.
BEYOND THE BOX-SCORE:
- FNU record now is 7-10 this season.
- FNU recorded its fifth on the road win of the season
- 9 players saw at least ten minutes of action for the Conquistadors.
- Florida National out-rebounded Dakota Wesleyan University 43-42 in the contest.
Florida National University
- Points: Ashley Williams (14)
- Rebounds: Brandilyn Robertson (10)
- Assists: Brianna Richardson (4)
Florida National University women’s basketball team will now face Bryant Stratton College- Buffalo on Wednesday, January 2nd at 6:00 pm. The game will take place at Bucky Dent Gym, Hialeah, Fla.
STAY CONNECTED:Follow FNU athletics on social Media:
Ruy Castelo Branco – FNU – Sports Information Director
About FNU: Florida National University opened its first class on January 4th, 1988, in the city of Hialeah, Florida, as Florida International Institute under the administration of Dr. José Regueiro, Dr. María C. Regueiro and Mr. Omar Sánchez. FNU Athletic Department has more than 250 student-athletes in 11 different sports. Established in 2013, FNU Athletics is a member of the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) and the United States Collegiate Athletic Association (USCAA).
The mission of the Florida National University Athletic Department is to provide assistance within an athletic structure that promotes the development of a well rounded education through structured sport and competition, to develop life skills of discipline, integrity, leadership, philanthropy and social responsibility, to elevate ethnic and cultural diversity within the athletic programs, to assure equitable opportunity for all staff and student-athletes, and to make the athletic program a durable source of pride for the student population, student-athletes, alumni, university, and community of FNU.