Jacksonville, Fla. – Florida National University men’s basketball team defeated University of Bahamas 110 – 102 on Friday night (Nov. 15th) the contest was played at Adams-Jenkins Center – Jacksonville, Fla. With the win Florida National improves to a 4-3 record.
INSIDE THE MATCH-UP:
Final Score: Florida National University 110, University of Bahamas 102
Records: Florida National University (4-3), University of Bahamas (2-2)
Location: Adams-Jenkins Center – Jacksonville, Fla.
Florida National University Starters: Jeffrey Hernandez , Jose Benitez, Hirotaka Ohashi, Kenneth Santos, Nico Rojas
- FNU shot 59.0% from the field on 16-of-78 shooting overall but was hot from the field in the first half, hitting 62.0%.
- FNU shot 33.3% from downtown on 7-of-21 shooting.
- FNU recorded 52.4 FT% on 11-of-21 shooting overall.
- University of Bahamas hit 50.6% of its shots from the paint and 38.9% from the long range.
- Applying the pressure on the defensive side, the Conquistadors forced 18 turnovers and recorded 9 steals.
- Kenneth Santos scored a game-high 28 points, and added 4 rebounds.
- J. Hernandez scored 13 points. He also recorded e assists and 8 rebounds.
- Jaquan Robertson came of the bench with 17 points and he also noted 2 rebounds.
- Nico Rojas recorded 9 points and 2 rebounds.
- Jose Benitez led the Conquistadors on the boards recording 9 rebounds in the contest. he also noted 20 points and 4 assists.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- FNU record now is 4-3 this season.
- FNU improves its on the road record to 3-2.
- 7 players saw at least 10 minutes of action for the Conquistadors.
- University of Bahamas out-rebounded Florida National 44-28 in the contest.
Head Coach James “JJ” Thatcher said: ” it was a great win for the University and men’s basketball team, to go on the road and beat a National power program is great, Stillman College is a very good ball team and will make a run in the NAIA National Tournament, but today was about our guys and them leaving everything on the court”.
Florida National University
Florida National University men’s basketball team will now face NAIA #6 Stillman College on Saturday, November 16th at 7:30 Pm. The game will take place at Adams-Jenkins Center – Jacksonville, Fla.
Ruy Castelo Branco – FNU – Sports Information Director
About FNU: Florida National University opened its first class on January 4th, 1988, in the city of Hialeah, Florida, as Florida International Institute under the administration of Dr. José Regueiro, Dr. María C. Regueiro and Mr. Omar Sánchez. FNU Athletic Department has more than 250 student-athletes in 11 different sports. Established in 2013, FNU Athletics is a member of the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) and the United States Collegiate Athletic Association (USCAA).
The mission of the Florida National University Athletic Department is to provide assistance within an athletic structure that promotes the development of a well rounded education through structured sport and competition, to develop life skills of discipline, integrity, leadership, philanthropy and social responsibility, to elevate ethnic and cultural diversity within the athletic programs, to assure equitable opportunity for all staff and student-athletes, and to make the athletic program a durable source of pride for the student population, student-athletes, alumni, university, and community of FNU.