West Palm Beach, Fla. – Florida National University men’s basketball team lost its fourth on the road game of the season as the Conquistadors dropped to Keiser University in a thrilling battle 101-99. The very close contest was played on Tuesday night (Dec. 10th) at Student Life Center, West Palm Beach, Fla. With the loss Florida National falls to a 8-5 record while Keiser University improves to 10-1.
INSIDE THE MATCH-UP:
Final Score: Florida National University 99, Keiser University 101
Records: Florida National University (8-5), Keiser University (10-1)
Location: Student Life Center, West Palm Beach, Fla.
Florida National University Starters: Jeffrey Hernandez , Jose Benitez, Hirotaka Ohashi, Kenneth Santos, Nico Rojas
- Florida National got off to a fast start, going in front 15-7 to force a Keiser timeout with 15:37 on the clock. The Conquistadors’ Kenneth Santos hit three three-pointers in the early going.
- Florida National built a double-digit lead that sat at 32-20 at the second media timeout at the 9:54 mark.
- The Conquistadors continued their remarkable shooting from the field as Santos’ sank his seventh three and teams tenth with FNU holding their largest margin of the half., 48-31, with 6:41 on the clock.
- The Seahawks proceeded to net seven unanswered points with five of those points coming from Gordon as KU drew to within 48-38, with 4:23 still to play in the frenetic opening half.
- Florida National went into half leading 62-45 with Santos leading them with 26 points. He hit eight of the team’s 11 three-pointers, while Gordon had 22 points to go along with eight rebounds.
- Both sides were shooting above 50 percent from the field, with FNU shooting 23-of-38 (60.5 percent) and KU 19-37 (51.4 percent). The Conquistadors did much of their damage from outside the arc, pouring in 11-of-19 from downtown.
Second Half: Keiser 101, Florida National 99
- Keiser sprinted out of the gates with a 13-2 run, drawing to within six points, 64-58 with 17:20 remaining.
- Florida National answered with a 7-2 run, extending their advantage to 71-60 with 15:34 to go.
- The Seahawks came right back, scoring the next seven points to get within four, 71-67, with 13:32 on the clock.
- Santos connected on his ninth trifecta of the game, stopping the surge momentarily, putting FNU back on top, 79-76, with 10:06 to go.
- After neither team scored over the next two minutes, Sylvain hit a three-pointer, tying the game at 81-81 with 8:19 remaining.
- FNU went on a 6-1 run to go ahead of the home team, 95-90 with just 2:38 left in the contest.
- An old-fashioned three-point play by Mabry along with a Gordon fast break layup retied the game at 95-95 with 2:08 to go.
- After an empty Seahawks possession, KU forced a jump ball and the arrow was in their favor, setting the stage for a go-ahead jumper from Sylvain from just inside the arc with 53 seconds remaining to lead 97-95.
- Mabry snagged a steal on the ensuing possession and after diving to the floor, he passed it ahead to Gordon for the fast break layup, bringing the score to 99-95 with 31 seconds left.
- Kroll corralled the rebound after an FNU three-point try caromed off, Perkins was fouled and sank two as the Seahawks led 101-95 with just 13 seconds remaining.
- The Conquistadors tallied the game’s final four points, but it was too little, too late, as the Seahawks claimed their ninth straight victory, improving to 5-0 inside the Student Life Center.
“We didn’t maintain the large lead down the stretch and let it slip away.” Coach Thatcher said. “Keiser played very well. The conquistadors will regain them self’s and get really for Friday’s game vs Edward Waters College. These conquistadors can really play just have to put it together better done the stretch. 8-5 on the season and a lot of season to go. ￼￼￼I love these guys.”
BEYOND THE BOX-SCORE:
- FNU record now is 8-5 this season.
- FNU away record is now 5-4.
- Keiser University’s wins streak is now in nine victories
Florida National University men’s basketball team will now face Edward Waters College on Friday, December 13th at 7:30 Pm. The game will take place at Bucky Dent Gym, Hialeah, Fla.
STAY CONNECTED: Follow FNU athletics on social Media:
Ruy Castelo Branco – FNU – Sports Information Director
About FNU: Florida National University opened its first class on January 4th, 1988, in the city of Hialeah, Florida, as Florida International Institute under the administration of Dr. José Regueiro, Dr. María C. Regueiro and Mr. Omar Sánchez. FNU Athletic Department has more than 250 student-athletes in 11 different sports. Established in 2013, FNU Athletics is a member of the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) and the United States Collegiate Athletic Association (USCAA).
The mission of the Florida National University Athletic Department is to provide assistance within an athletic structure that promotes the development of a well rounded education through structured sport and competition, to develop life skills of discipline, integrity, leadership, philanthropy and social responsibility, to elevate ethnic and cultural diversity within the athletic programs, to assure equitable opportunity for all staff and student-athletes, and to make the athletic program a durable source of pride for the student population, student-athletes, alumni, university, and community of FNU.