TAMPA, FL – Florida National University Men’s soccer team defeated NCAA DII University of Tampa on the road on Tuesday night at 7:00 Pm. The match was played at the Pepin Stadium || Tampa, Fla. . With the win, FNU improves to 11-3-1 on the year while University of Tampa falls to 6-7-1 on the season.
INSIDE THE MATCH UP:
- Score: Florida National University 4 x 1 University of Tampa
- Records: Florida National (11-3-1), University of Tampa (6-7-1).
- Location: Pepin Stadium || Tampa, Fla.
- All-time Series: Tampa now trails in the all-time series with a record of 0-1 in the first match-up between the two.
- 09:37 | TU – Amgad Salah (unassisted) 0-1
- 39:20 | FNU – Vinicius Mallmann (Francisco Perkins) 1-1
- 44:30 | FNU – Gabriel Barbosa (Pedro Navarro) 2-1
- 74:24 | FNU – Ygor Proenca (Pedro Navarro) 3-1
- 88:49 | TU – Trevor Stanley (unassisted) 3-2
HOW IT HAPPENED
- 1st Half | The Conquistadors jumped out of the gate firing as they took two quick shots on goal to begin the game.
- However, an early penalty kick scored by Amghad Salah gave the Spartans an early lead. Tampa 1-0.
- The National forwards eventually knotted the game back up at 1 apiece with a goal scored by Vinicius Mallmann, on a cross from winger Francisco Perkins.
- Seconds before the conclusion of the first half, Conquistador forward Gabriel Barbosa broke open the tie with a well-placed upper 90 goal, as Tampa’s defensive struggles continued, as the team allowed 13 shots in the first half. || Florida National, 2-1
- 2nd Half | The second half of play opened up similar to the first half as both teams came out of the break attacking on the offensive side. Substitute, Ygor Proenca scored the decisive goal for the Florida National as he drilled a ball past Tampa defenders.
- The Spartans continued to fight as Trevor Stanley scored a late free-kick goal in an attempt to bring the Spartans back, however, time was not on the Spartans’ side as they ended up being narrowly defeated by a score of 3-2. || Florida National, 3-2
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE:
- FNU concludes the season with a record 11-3-1.
- FNU recorded its ten wins on the road this season.
- Florida National out-shot University of Tampa, 26-10.
The Conquistadors will now go to USCAA National Tournament. The tournament will be played between November 7th and 11th at Virginia Beach, VA.
STAY CONNECTED:Follow FNU athletics on social Media:
Ruy Castelo Branco – FNU – Sports Information Director
About FNU: Florida National University opened its first class on January 4th, 1988, in the city of Hialeah, Florida, as Florida International Institute under the administration of Dr. José Regueiro, Dr. María C. Regueiro and Mr. Omar Sánchez. FNU Athletic Department has more than 250 student-athletes in 11 different sports. Established in 2013, FNU Athletics is a member of the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) and the United States Collegiate Athletic Association (USCAA).
The mission of the Florida National University Athletic Department is to provide assistance within an athletic structure that promotes the development of a well rounded education through structured sport and competition, to develop life skills of discipline, integrity, leadership, philanthropy and social responsibility, to elevate ethnic and cultural diversity within the athletic programs, to assure equitable opportunity for all staff and student-athletes, and to make the athletic program a durable source of pride for the student population, student-athletes, alumni, university, and community of FNU.