Earning a college degree requires hard work and determination. It’s an accomplishment that should most certainly be celebrated. Every graduate should be overjoyed to achieve such a milestone because it’s not easy. When graduation day finally rolls around for college students, the feeling can be exhilarating, yet terrifying at the same time. The excitement comes from the realization that you’ve done the work it takes to earn a college degree.
Now, here comes the terrifying part.
Finding a Career
Studying as a college student is indeed a career. It’s demanding, requires a lot of your time, and is riddled with pressing deadlines.
Once you graduate, you’ll soon realize that you have to decide very quickly what you want to do with your life, if you haven’t figured it out already. While the college degree you’ve earned is certainly a good start, you will need to begin applying everything you’ve learned to work. That means searching for a job within are newfound field of study.
This task can be quite intimidating because when it comes to job-hunting, there are no guarantees. Getting a college degree simply places you on an even playing field with other professionals in the industry. With a college degree, you’ll be able to apply for higher-paying jobs that other professionals have spent years working in.
Now as a new college graduate, it’s your duty need to find these jobs!
Terrifying indeed, but it’s doable.
That’s Why Getting the Right Education Counts!
Florida National University’s (FNU) academic curriculum prepares all of our students to enter the job market. We award associates, bachelors, and master degrees that are designed to teach students the fundamentals of each subject along with hands-on training, and in some cases, clinical hours. Many of our graduates have gone on to find rewarding careers. Some have become professors, others have found their dream job back in their home state. We even have graduates who have become published authors!
All of these students will tell you that the journey towards pursuing a rewarding career isn’t easy. Some of them had to work a few different jobs after graduation before finding the right career.
FNU Wants You to Succeed
FNU is dedicated to helping our students succeed in and out of the classroom. This is why we’re providing a list of resources that can aid new graduates in finding the professional career of their dreams.
Here is a list of job-seeking platforms:
- Monster.com – This job-seeking platform is said to have the most traffic than all of the other employment websites in the United States. This can be a good and bad thing. On one hand, you can be sure that employers are going to look for resumes on this platform. On the other hand, they may not ever see your resume due to the high volume of applications.
- Careerbuilder.com – Careerbuilder.com is reportedly the largest employment website in the United States. It can be said that it is Monster.com’s top competitor and poses the same pros and cons. However, Careerbuilder’s website appears to be more user-friendly for jobseekers. Like Monster.com, Careerbuilder’s platform can get pretty busy in terms of managing different resumes for certain job industries. You’ll also have to make sure that all of these resumes aren’t outdated.
- Indeed.com– Indeed.com addresses the concerns that Monster.com and Careerbuilder.com might have in terms of providing too much information. Indeed.com provides a more simplistic platform. Job seekers don’t have to go through the trouble of registering an account. Some of the job postings offer an “Easily apply” option where you can upload your resume and enter your name and email address. Including the phone number and cover letter is optional.
- LinkedIn – LinkedIn works as a professional social networking platform for companies, executives, and entrepreneurs. A user’s LinkedIn profile is designed like a structured online resume that’s also presentable in a web-based format. LinkedIn profiles are set up where you can list your skills, experience, and employment history. You’ll be able to provide links to any work that’s published on the Internet too. This includes webpages, videos, and PDFs. LinkedIn stands out above other social media sites because it requires you to have some type of networking relationship with others before linking your profile to theirs.
- Specialized Job Sites – There are some industries that have their own specialized employment platform. For instance, the profession of traveling nurses has plenty of websites for Registered Nurses to apply to. Other professions may have associations that you can be a part of. Within those chapters is usually a listing of industry-related job postings.
- Check Your University! – Universities hire too! Whether you’re interested in becoming part of the faculty or administration team, check your university’s website for any possible job openings that may apply to your new area of expertise.
New graduates can look into the military if they are active or inactive members. It never hurts to check the good old-fashioned newspaper and even Craigslist, although we suggest that you approach the classifieds with caution since anyone can post a job opening that may not be credible. Other casual social media sites like Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter may help you gain valuable information about possible job openings too. You just really need to keep your eyes open and look for any opportunities that may arise. It’s called networking!
Florida National University is here to help you find the career of your dreams, whether it’s here in South Florida or across the country. We’ll provide you with the tools to help you become the successful professional you’ve set out to be. If you have any questions about how Florida National University can help your academic career, contact us today to learn about our regionally accredited curriculum as well as any financial aid opportunities today!