AVE MARIA, Fla. (Oct. 13, 2022) – Florida National’s volleyball team was unable to pull out a third-straight victory, falling to newly-minted RV Ave Maria University on the road in straight sets. The Gyrenes are a top contender in the Sun Conference, sitting at 5-1 in conference play. The home school came into the match looking to bounce back from a loss to St. Thomas in five sets, Wednesday night. With this defeat, FNU falls to 3-10 on the season and has a two-game winning streak come to a close.
Set One FNU Notables (12-25)
- The Conquistadors had a strong performance from senior Joanne Dania with five kills and one block for the opening set
- FNU’s Paola Brandsma had two kills and one block
- The Conquistadors trailed for the majority of the set and were unable to overcome AMU’s impressive maneuvering on the court
Set Two FNU Notables (15-25)
- FNU started the second set of the match neck and neck with AMU tying the set 5-5
- Joanne Dania continued her stellar play for FNU, connecting on two kills before the end of the set.
- Layla Cortez came alive on offense nailing three kills of her own
- The Gyrenes broke away late in the set for a 19-12 lead thanks in part to seven kills from Cabriella Bouterse through two sets. Madelyn Haut and Abigail Gregory record four kills a piece to effectively claim the set for the Gyrenes
Set Three FNU Notables (12-25)
- The final set of the match was tied up at 2-2 before the Gyrenes took control of a 9-6 lead in the early goings
- FNU was held to only seven kills in the set and one block
- Cabriella Bouterse ended her night with 10 kills to help secure AMU’s victory
- This loss snaps a two-game winning streak for the Conquistadors after defeating Trinity College of Florida and Webber International University
- Joanne Dania had eight kills along with one blocks
- Ivette Sandoval collected 11 assists in the game
Up Next: The Conquistadors return to Bucky Dent park to host Keiser University on October 18 at 6:30 p.m.