Where Great Careers Begin
Florida National University wants to help you become a dental assistant.
We take pride in offering an accredited dental assistant program that will prepare you for your future career in the dental field. Once you graduate with your dental assistant certification, you’ll be ready to enter the job market with confidence.
Our campus is located in Florida, where we’ve been providing quality education for over 40 years. Our faculty has extensive experience in teaching and mentoring students, so you’ll have access to the best resources available when it comes to learning about your chosen field of study.
We strive to make sure every student completes our program with the skills necessary for success—and that’s why so many of our alumni remain with us throughout their careers!
Enroll today and get started!
Dental Assistants: The Heart of the Practice
In the world of dentistry, a dental assistant is an integral part of the process.
We’re going to look at what a dental assistant is, their duties and answer the question of what should be on your resume as a dental assistant.
Let’s get started!
What Is a Dental Assistant?
A dental assistant is a healthcare professional who works in a dentist’s office to help patients with their oral health. The dental assistant job outlook for 2022 shows an expected growth of 8% from 2022-2023. This growth rate is faster than average for other occupations.
Dental Assistant Duties
Dental assistants are the backbone of a dental practice. They help keep things running smoothly and make sure that patients are comfortable, relaxed, and informed during their appointments.
Some of the duties that dental assistants are responsible for include:
- Collecting patient information, such as medical history and insurance information
- Taking dental impressions
- Explaining procedures to patients
- Administering local anesthetic or nitrous oxide gas to patients
- Performing dental hygiene treatments, including oral hygiene instruction and teeth cleaning
- Filling out insurance forms
- Explaining treatment options to patients
Want to know more about becoming a dental assistant? Check out our website today!
What Should I Put on My Resume as a Dental Assistant?
Resumes and cover letters are a crucial part of the job search process, especially for new graduates. If you’re applying for your first job, the resume and cover letter serve as an opportunity to sell yourself to potential employers.
Elements of a Resume
- Contact Information: Put your name, address, phone number, and email address at the top of the page. This allows potential employers to contact you.
- Objective: This section provides the value that you will add to the company you desire to be at. The objective should be no more than 3 sentences long and should be concise.
- Education: List your education history starting with high school and continuing through your completion of the dental assistant program at FNU.
- Skillset: In this section, list your skills and abilities. Such as computer skills, customer service skills, and anything applicable to the dental field.
Elements of a Cover Letter
- Introduction: This section will let the employer know who you are.
- Summary of Work Experience: Describe anything relevant to the position you’re applying for using details from the job listing to show you’ve paid attention.
- References: Have prepared at least three professional references to provide upon request.
If you have no experience at all, use the skills you developed by attending FNU’s Dental Assistant Program and any that you may have gained through the course of your college journey for your resume.
We know that becoming a dental assistant is a big decision, and we want you to be confident in your choice of school.
At Florida National University, we offer you a hands-on curriculum that will get you ready for the job market. With our dental assistant certification program, you will be able to apply your skills and knowledge in an entry-level job as soon as you graduate.
If you’re ready to get started on your career as a dental assistant, we invite you to visit our website today!