TAMARAC, Fla. (March 21, 2021) — The Florida National women’s tennis team (0-5) fell to the No. 10-ranked LSU Alexandria Generals (4-1), 7-0, on Saturday afternoon from the Woodmont Country Club.
The Generals took a 1-0 lead, winning doubles point. LSUA’s Darija Mladenovic and Maria Alvarez defeated the FNU pair of Michell Hurtado and Emerald Cooke, 6-0, while the duo of Alicia Romero Gomez and Niamh Packer downed Florida National’s Vanessa Simone and Daniela Millan, 6-2. LSUA swept the double portion of the match with a 6-2 win by Candela Bonivardi and Patricia Martinez Molina over Pirada Suwanruk and Karyna Krykunenko.
LSUA clinched the match after winning three-straight matches in singles play as Millan fell to Mladenovic, 6-1, 6-0, Cooke lost to Romero Gomez, 6-0, 6-0, and Suwanruk lost to Alvarez, 6-2, 3-0 (retired). The Generals added to their lead with wins in the final three singles matches (Packer defeated Jankun, 6-0, 6-2, Bonivardi defeated Simone, 6-1, 6-1, and Carme Ibanyez Navarro defeated Krykunenko, 6-0, 6-2).
The Conquistadors will return to action on Wednesday, March 24, versus this same Generals team. Match time is set for 1:30 p.m. from Tamarac, Florida.
FNU Women’s Tennis
Florida National vs (10) LSU Alexandria
Woodmont Country Club
(10) LSU Alexandria 7, Florida National 0
1) Darija Mladenovic (LSUA) def. Daniela Millan (FNU) – 6-1, 6-0
2) Alicia Romero Gomez (LSUA) def. Emerald Cooke (FNU) – 6-0, 6-0
3) Maria Alvarez (LSUA) def. Pirada Suwanruk (FNU) – 6-2, 3-0 (retired)
4) Niamh Packer (LSUA) def. Paulina Jankun (FNU) – 6-0, 6-2
5) Candela Bonivardi (LSUA) def. Vanessa Simone (FNU) – 6-1, 6-1
6) Carme Ibanyez Navarro (LSUA) def. Karyna Krykunenko (FNU) – 6-0, 6-2
Order of Finish: N/A
1) Darija Mladenovic / Maria Alvarez (LSUA) def. Michell Hurtado / Emerald Cooke (FNU) – 6-0
2) Alicia Romero Gomez / Niamh Packer (LSUA) def. Vanessa Simone / Daniela Millan (FNU) – 6-2
3) Candela Bonivardi / Patricia Martinez Molina (LSUA) def. Pirada Suwanruk / Karyna Krykunenko (FNU) – 6-2
Order of Finish: N/A