TEMPLE TERRACE, Fla. (Sept. 2, 2022) – The Conquistadors women’s volleyball team was unable to record their first win of the Florida College Tournament, losing to the host Falcons in straight sets. FNU volleyball drops to 0-5 in the early goings of the 2022-23 season.
Set One FNU Notables (16-25)
- An early kill by Elis Cordova-Millet on an assist from Maria Liva gave FNU a 5-3 lead before falling behind
- A kill by Layla Cortez put the Conquistadors back in contention only trailing 12-15
- Florida College scored the final five points in the set to secure the first point of the match
Set Two FNU Notables (24-26)
- Highest scoring set for the Conquistadors this season
- Lead 17-14 midway through the set and looked prime to secure their first point of the season before falling behind 20-23
- A kill by Layla Cortez tied the set 24-24 before the Falcons won the point 26-24
Set Three FNU Notables (8-25)
- Gabriela Gonzalez recorded a block with FNU trailing 5-7
- Joanne Dania had a critical kill to cut the Falcons’ lead to eight
- Falcons went on a 7-0 run to finish off the match.
- In her first match this season, Layla Cortez recorded seven kills and 16 digs
- Joanne Dania had a team-high eight kills
- Fourteen of FNU’s 23 assists came from Maria Liva
Up Next: Florida National moves on to day two of the tournament with another doubleheader on the horizon. On September 3, the Conquistoard will face Warner University at 12 p.m. followed by William Carey at 4 p.m.