Hialeah, Fla. – Florida National University men’s basketball team conquer its first home win of the season as the Conquistadors defeated the crosstown rivals Florida Memorial University Lions in a thrilling overtime battle. The Conquistadors defeated Florida Memorial University on Wednesday night (Dec. 4th). The contest was played at Bucky Dent Gym, Hialeah, Fla. With the win Florida National improves to a 7-3 record while Florida Memorial falls to 2-8.
INSIDE THE MATCH-UP:
Final Score: Florida National University 90, Florida Memorial University 86
Records: Florida National University (7-3), Florida Memorial University (2-8)
Location: Bucky Dent Gym – Hialeah, Fla.
Florida National University Starters: Jeffrey Hernandez , Jose Benitez, Hirotaka Ohashi, Kenneth Santos, Nico Rojas
- FNU shot 43.2% from the field on 32-of-74 shooting overall but was hot from the field in the first half, hitting 51.43%.
- FNU shot 30.0% from downtown on 9-of-30 shooting.
- FNU recorded 85.0 FT% on 17-of-20 shooting overall.
- Florida Memorial University hit 45.2% of its shots from the paint and 25.0% from the long range.
- Applying the pressure on the defensive side, the Conquistadors forced 25 turnovers and recorded 10 steals.
- J. Hernandez scored a game-high 31 points, and added 5 rebounds, 3 assists and 3 steals.
- Kenneth Santos recorded 18 points, 7 rebounds and 4 assists.
- Thomas Dillon came of the bench with 7 rebounds and he also noted 14 points and recorded 1 assists.
- Nico Rojas recorded14 points and 7 rebounds.
- Hirotaka Ohashi led the Conquistadors in assists recording 6 assists and he also scored 6 points.
Posted by Florida National University Athletics on Wednesday, December 4, 2019
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- FNU record now is 7-3 this season.
- FNU improves its home record to 1-1.
- 7 players saw at least 10 minutes of action for the Conquistadors.
- Florida National out-rebounded Florida Memorial University 42-40 in the contest.
Florida National University
Florida National University men’s basketball team will now face Edward Waters College on Friday, December 6th at 7:30 Pm. The game will take place at Jacksonville, FL.
Ruy Castelo Branco – FNU – Sports Information Director
About FNU: Florida National University opened its first class on January 4th, 1988, in the city of Hialeah, Florida, as Florida International Institute under the administration of Dr. José Regueiro, Dr. María C. Regueiro and Mr. Omar Sánchez. FNU Athletic Department has more than 250 student-athletes in 11 different sports. Established in 2013, FNU Athletics is a member of the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) and the United States Collegiate Athletic Association (USCAA).
The mission of the Florida National University Athletic Department is to provide assistance within an athletic structure that promotes the development of a well rounded education through structured sport and competition, to develop life skills of discipline, integrity, leadership, philanthropy and social responsibility, to elevate ethnic and cultural diversity within the athletic programs, to assure equitable opportunity for all staff and student-athletes, and to make the athletic program a durable source of pride for the student population, student-athletes, alumni, university, and community of FNU.