Graduation Requirements (A Minimum of 120 Credits)
The purpose of this program is to prepare the students to become professional nurses able to function in a variety of roles. The students will be prepared in the areas of health assessment, nursing theories and concepts, research, leadership, informatics and health promotion across various healthcare settings. The graduates will acquire the necessary knowledge and skills to safely practice patient care and pass the NCLEX exam. FNU awards a Bachelor of Science degree upon completion.
General Education Requirements (53 Credits)
ENC 1101English Composition I**3
ENC 1102English Composition II**3
SPC 1017Fundamentals of Oral Communication3
ENC 3311Advanced Writing and Research3
Humanities(from the selection of Hum. Courses offered)3
PSY 1012General Psychology3
DEP 2004Human Growth and Development3
BSC 1085CAnatomy and Physiology I4
BSC 1086CAnatomy and Physiology II4
CHM 1033Introduction to Chemistry3
CHM 1033 LIntroduction to Chemistry Lab1
HSC 2577Principles of Nutrition for Health Care3
MAC 1105College Algebra I**3
STA 2014Introduction to Statistics**4
CGS 1030cIntroduction to Information Technology4
NUR 3029CFundamentals of Nursing7
NUR 3065Physical Assessment in Health Care4
NUR 3226CAdult Health Nursing I6
NUR 3805Nursing Role and Scope3
NUR 3227CAdult Health Nursing II6
NUR 3165Nursing Research3
NUR 3525CPsychiatric Nursing4
NUR 3655Culture in Nursing3
NUR 3355CPediatric Nursing5.5
NUR 3465CMaternity and Newborn Nursing5.5
NUR 4827CNursing Leadership and Management3
NUR 4836CProfessional Nursing Practicum6
NUR 4636Community Nursing4
All students must have completed all General Education requirements successfully with a grade of “C” or higher and all Science courses with a “B” or higher before beginning core courses.
NOTE: FNU reserves the right to transfer the appropriate courses.
*General Education Component (see page 162)
**This course has prerequisites; check course descriptions.
*** Mandatory course for entering the core courses
Bachelor of Science in Nursing – Admission Requirements
1. Kaplan nursing admission test. Minimum score 75%
2. Program Application
3. Two professional references
4. Local Police Report
5. Essay – Minimum 250 words about why you are choosing the Nursing career, strengths and weakness, personal and live motivations.
6. Official transcripts (if you are transferring credits from other institutions). Natural Science courses MUST have a letter grade of at least B (BSC1085C, BSC1086C, CHM1025, CHM1025L, MCB2000C, and HSC2377). Letter grade “D” is not transferable. GPA 3.0 (Transferred credits)
7. Entrance Interview
8. General education courses start every 8 weeks and Nursing Core Courses every 16 weeks (Winter, Summer and Fall)
Bachelor in Science of Nursing (RN to BSN) – Admission Requirements
1. Program Application
2. Two professional references
3. Local Police Report
4. Essay – Minimum 250 words about why you are choosing the Nursing career, strengths and weakness, personal and live motivations.
5. Official transcripts. (If you are transferring credits from other institutions). Natural Science courses MUST have a letter grade of at least B (BSC1085C, BSC1086C, CHM1025, CHM1025L, MCB2000C, and HSC2377). Letter grade “D” is not transferable. GPA 3.0 (Transferred credits)
6. Registered Nurse License, clear and active.
7. General education courses start every 8 weeks and Nursing Core Courses every 16 weeks (Winter, Summer and Fall)
“Students enrolling in the BSN program that have completed an ASN program and have an active RN license will receive 32 credits towards their BSN. Students will have to complete the additional General Education courses and 35 credits of upper level courses.”
Foreign Physicians Admission Requirements
1. Graduated as medical doctor from another country from an accredited institution.
2. Practiced as a physician for at least 2 years
3. Medical school transcripts must be evaluated and made equivalent by an accredited credential evaluation agency
4. General Education requirements: (17 credits/53 if demonstrated by transcripts):
4.1 All science courses will be transferred (C and above)
4.2 Communication requirements (ENC 1101, ENC 1102, and SPC 1017) can be validated by obtaining a TOEFL score of 62 or IELTS score of 5.5. ENC 3311 Advanced Writing and Research is required.
4.3 Humanities (6 crs.) includes PHI 1635 Biomedical Ethics
4.4 Psychology and Human Growth and Development will be transferred.
4.5 College Algebra will be transferred, but Statistics is required for the program, student must complete this course unless included in transcripts.
4.6 CGS 1030, Introduction to Information Technology is required, unless included in transcripts.
5. Score a minimum of 75% on the Entrance Exam.
6. Interview with Nursing Admission Committee
7. Five full time semesters of core courses.
Note: Foreign Physicians applying for the ASN will receive the same credits that apply to the program.