Tips to Help You SUCCEED in College
College can be a new and challenging experience for many students. To help you better adjust to the college life here are some: “Tips to Help you Succeed in College.” Hope you find these useful:
1. Attend all orientations you can. The more you learn about the college, the better prepared you’ll be to handle any issues that may arise. Here at Florida National University a general orientation is given during the day and during the evening the Thursday before the beginning of each new term. If you weren’t able to make it during your first term attending FNU, make it a point to attend during the next one. An orientation is also given for online students or classroom students who wish to take an online class.
2. Get organized / Get textbooks. Have a calendar and write down when assignments are due and make a study schedule with a place and time to study daily. It is very important that assignments and papers be handed in on time, and that you have your textbook from day one to be prepared to complete your assignments.
3. Get to know your academic program requirements. Meet with your academic advisor or with your division head to review these with them and to request a program sheet so that you can follow your progress in your program completion. Also make sure to notify them if ever you are scheduled a course that is not part of your program.
4. Get to know and maintain good communication with your faculty. Make sure you have their contact information where you can reach them if ever you need them in case of an emergency.
5. Attend your classes. It is extremely important that you go to your classes and take advantage of all the material presented there. The faculty bring many examples from their experience in the field that you won’t find in your textbooks alone. You will also get a better insight of what will be required of you for the midterm and final exams by being present in your classes.
6. Meet with and get to know your academic advisor. The advisor is someone you can talk to about your career, your academic program course requirements, any academic concern you might have, any issues with your professors, and any other topic such as your future goals and aspirations.
7. Work hard to obtain good grades. The time you spend studying is very valuable, you might as well make good use of it and prepare to obtain good grades. Your GPA will determine if you graduate with honors: Cum Laude = 3.50 – 3.69, Magna Cum Laude = 3.70 – 3.89, and Summa Cum Laude = 3.90 – 4.0 . Students who graduate with honors will have it listed on their college diploma.
8. Avoid procrastination. Set deadlines and stick to them. Don’t leave things until the last moment. This will only create more tension in your life and affect the quality of your work negatively. Take responsibility for your actions and do what needs to be done first.
9. Take time to relax and enjoy life. Make time out of your busy schedule to spend with your love ones and do the things you enjoy doing. After all, “success is a journey not a destination.” We want to make sure we also enjoy that journey along the way.
10. Your attitude is very important in all you do. Make sure you always try to have a positive attitude. “Excellence is the result of caring more than others think is wise, risking more than others think is safe, dreaming more than others think is practical, and expecting more than others think is possible.” The more you put into your education and expect out of life, the more you will get out of it!