RN to MSN (MSN TRACK) (51.3802)
Graduation Requirements (A Minimum of 58 Credits)
Program Description: RN/MSN track is offered to foreign-educated doctors who hold a nursing license and nurses who earned a Bachelor’s degree in a related field. This curriculum is designed to build upon students’ nursing education and professional experiences. This streamline track will allow these professional nurses with previous medical and strong educational background to acquire essential evidence-based knowledge, skills, and earn an MSN degree for successful employment in their chosen careers. This track is also tailored to lead to the same concentrations offered under the MSN program: Nurse Educator, Nurse Leadership/Management, and Family Nurse Practitioner.Request more info about RN to MSN (MSN TRACK)
This FNU online quiz takes 3-minutes to complete and you'll get a personalized report. Identify your strengths, goals and social style plus the education path you're best suited for. Get Your Career Education Readiness score now. (Opens is a new window)
GRADUATION REQUIREMENTS (58-67 credits)
- NUR 3065Physical Assessment in Health Care4
- NUR 3125Pathophysiology4
- NUR 3165Nursing Research3
- NUR 3826Ethical and Legal Aspects of Nursing Practice2
- NUR 4827Nursing Leadership and Management3
- NUR 4636Community Health4
- NUR 4870Nursing Informatics3
- NGR 5101Nursing Theory3
- NGR 6812Nursing Research & Evidence Based3
- NGR 5891Health Care Policy3
- NGR 6636Health Promotion and Role Development in Advanced Nursing Practice3
- NGR 5674Population Health, Epidemiology, & Statistical Principles3
- NGR 6871Health Care Informatics3
- TotalCore Course Credits41
- NGR 6101Nursing Curriculum Development3
- NGR 6710Teaching and Learning Strategies (clinical/classroom)3
- NGR 6712Introduction to Educational Concepts3
- NGR 6715Instructional Technology3
- NGR 6718Assessment and Evaluation Strategies3
- NGR 6940Nurse Educator Practicum (Capstone Project)3
- TotalMSN Education Credits18
- TotalPracticum Hours120
- NGR 6110Nursing Leadership and Management3
- NGR 6120Nursing Decision-Making in Complex Health Systems3
- NGR 6720Organizational Dynamics3
- NGR 6722Financial Management and Resource Development3
- NGR 5700Decision Making3
- NGR 6942Nurse Leadership and Management Practicum3
- TotalMSN Leadership & Management Credits18
- TotalPracticum Hours (Capstone Project)120
- NGR 5035Advanced Health Assessment3
- NGR 5141Advanced Pathophysiology3
- NGR 6172Advanced Pharmacology3
- NGR 6610Advanced Primary Care of Family I3
- NGR 6610 LAdvanced Primary Care of Family Practicum I3
- NGR 6616Advanced Primary Care of Family II3
- NGR 6616 LAdvanced Primary Care of Family Practicum II3
- NGR 6638Integration Advanced Primary Care of Family3
- NGR 6619 LAdvanced Family Practicum III3
- TotalFamily Nurse Practitioner Concentration Credits27
- TotalPracticum Hours650
- Students are required to obtain a grade of B in all classes, a satisfactory “S” grade in lab, and practicum.
- C is a failing grade. Note that students in the RN-MSN track who are taking BSN courses will follow the BSN grading criteria. However, at least a GPA of 3.0 must be maintained to progress to the MSN courses.
- Students will be allowed to repeat a course only once. Two failing grades will result in termination from the program. However, students who fail the lecture or clinical component of a practicum course must repeat both lecture and clinical, which will count as one failed course.
- Bachelor’s degree in nursing from an NLN or CCNE accredited institution with a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale. Students who graduated from a non-programmatically accredited institution and meet all other admission requirements will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Admission is not guaranteed. Foreign transcripts must be evaluated and accompanied by equivalencies from an accredited Credential Evaluation Agency.
- If undergraduate GPA is less than 2.5, GMAT score of 400 and above or a GRE composite score of 150 (or 900) required.
- Current unrestricted license as a professional registered nurse in the United States. Out of state applicants must be eligible for endorsement by the Florida Board of Nursing.
- Applicants with a foreign degree who lack academic experience in an English language environment must demonstrate English proficiency, which can be established through one of the following:
- Meeting Florida Board of Nursing English competency examinations’ requirements.
- Score of 62 and above on the Test of English as a foreign language (TOEFL in each section with an acceptable level (intermediate or fair and above).
- Score of 5.5 on the IELTS, or a 44 on the PTEA.
- Completion of a-six credit English Graduate Preparatory Course (ENG 1120 & ENG 1130) offered in one semester.
- Completion of ENC 1101, ENC 1102 and SPC 1017.
- A completed program application.
- Two letters of recommendations from professional references who can attest to the candidate’s potential for advanced practice studies and leadership. One letter must be from a supervisor or a faculty.
- Current resume or curriculum vitae.
- Official (sealed) transcript from undergraduate nursing institution.
- A written essay of a minimum of 250 words depicting reason for pursuing an advanced degree in nursing.
- Entrance Interview (Students will be accepted based on their qualifications, merits, professional experiences, and contributions to the nursing profession).
- Computer knowledge of Microsoft Office Word, Excel, and PowerPoint is required for online classes.
- Students applying to the RN-MSN track must also meet the following requirements:
- Current Unrestricted RN license
- Completion of a Bachelor’s degree in Nursing from an accredited institution or a Foreign Medical Degree with transcript equivalencies from an accredited Credential Evaluation Agency.
The MSN program will accept MSN credits from another regionally accredited institution. The applicants must submit original transcripts from the previous institutions. The Vice-President of Academic Affairs and the Director of Nursing will render evaluation of submitted transcripts with the number of credits accepted.
- FNU reserves the right to choose the credentialing institutions it recognizes
- Credits earned from a Bachelor Degree in a related field or from a Foreign Medical Doctor Degree will be transferred as a block to the RN-MSN track.
- No additional credits will be transferred beyond the block transfer.
RN-MSN track is a bridge. Therefore, no BSN degree will be conferred upon completion.
Foreign online students who hold international nursing licenses can be enrolled in the Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) Nurse Leadership and Management and the Nurse Educator concentrations. Note that foreign students who graduate from an online nursing program and hold an international nursing license are unable to work in the USA, unless they sit for the NCLEX in the state of their choice. In order to sit for the NCLEX exam, students will be required to present a translation and equivalency of their academic credentials in English from an authorized evaluation agency and or any other requirements requested by the Board of Nursing.